Chapter Thirteen

Driving around was boring as hell but it was better than sitting at the camper with nothing to do.

I was so tired of that place that it was slowly making me go insane.

Getting out of there and out of this town was something I wanted to do for a while and I needed to succeed on actually doing it.

When? I have no idea.

How? Get a lot of cash and hit the road.

I drove around, looking around at the houses and driving down different roads. I tried not going down the same roads but it was hard when this town sucked and was too small.

You go one way and end up at the same spot you were in a minute ago.

It was dumb.

But driving around helped me clear my head and I had the chance to look around at the houses that I never hit or didn't even know existed.

It was therapy for me.

I guess I always liked driving around and getting away from places.

That's all I did growing up when I was able to get into a car alone and leave.

I never stayed at the house with my parents.

I hated doing that so I left whenever I could and hardly ever came back.

Mark was the only friend I had so I stayed at his house a lot and his mom was ok with it.

My parents hated the idea of me staying gone so long but they never cared enough to do anything about it.

It was basically just me, myself and I growing up. I was taking care of myself, by myself and already learning half the shit adults learn throughout their life.

A caring family wasn't something I was ever familiar with.

The thought of someone actually caring?

Mark cares, but that's coming from a friend.

The type of care I meant was from someone who was related to you.

Never knew the feeling.

I was alone in the world.

With Mark, of course.

After driving around for a while, I was lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize I was so far away from the town.

Looking around, I wasn't familiar with this road, so I pulled over and turned around.

It's crazy how you can zone out while driving. Not even knowing where you're going.

After driving for a few minutes, I saw a cop pass by then I watched them in the rear view as they were turning around.

"Of course."

I was waiting for the lights to come on and when they did, I signaled then pulled over. I shut the engine off then sat there as I watched through the rear view.

After a moment, the door opened and I saw Officer Jack get out. I leaned my head back and cursed underneath my breath as he was taking his sweet time coming to the truck.

The window was already rolled down when he approached it. I just waited until he said something, but all he was doing was looking around then looking at me.

"I thought I recognized this truck." He kicked the truck and I heard the metal. He looks at me and smiles, but I knew the smile all too well.

Here it comes.

"I saw this truck the other night. On burnt bridge road, off to the side. It was parked and the doors were locked." He looks around then back at me. "Were you around?"

"No sir. It broke down and I had to get someone to get me."

He nods then walks away, walking around the truck and looking at everything. I knew he was looking for evidence but it won't find any.

I was watching him in the rear view.

When he walked all the way around and made it back to the driver side, he looks at me then crosses his arms.

"License. Registration and proof of insurance."

Reaching up, I opened the little headliner compartment before grabbing my license out then leaning over and opening the glove box for the registration.

After I handed him those items, he looks at me. "Insurance."

"None. It's not my truck."

"Whose truck is it?"

"Mark Davis. It's on the registration."

He looks down at it before looking back at me. "I'll run this through then come back to you. No insurance isn't a good thing."

I watch him walk off then I shook my head before leaning back and getting comfortable. I knew that cops take forever when they run their shit, so I might as well stay here for a while.

Looking around, I didn't see any cars pass by. I wasn't even sure where this road lead too. I know that I've never been down this way so I wasn't sure.

Looking in the rear view, I saw Officer Jack walk back towards the truck. I watch him until he approached the door then handed me all my items back.

"Since you don't have any insurance and this truck isn't yours.. I don't want to see you driving it around anymore. I already looked at the whole truck and the plate, so I know what it looks like. Your friend is getting fined for not having insurance."

He handed me a paper, telling me to take it to the owner.

"Whatever."

"I mean it." He said. "Let me catch you in this truck." He kept looking at me as I was holding the paper. "You're not as smart as you think you are. I know what you've been doing and I know you broke into my home."

I roll my eyes before placing the paper in the glove box. "You always so that shit." I leaned back up and looked at him. "Why don't you arrest me then? Go ahead. Oh wait.. you need proof."

"I'll get proof. Don't worry." He looks the truck over once more before looking back at me. "See you around, Cassidy."

After that, he left and I waited until he was gone. I shook my head then started the truck and left, ready to head back and tell Mark the great news.