⋘CH.2:⋙

♫♪👻♪♫

THE SONG NUMBER FINISHES WITH the lights fading out and Caleb reappearing at the table. "That was amazing!" I compliment Caleb as he takes his seat.

"Yes. It was. Wasn't it," Caleb agrees cockily.

"How can I learn to do all that?" I ask gesturing to the now-empty stage.

"Well, I've had some practice. I can help teach you how to control and explore it if you're willing. Our gifts are so rare, so special. And if I'm honest I've never met another spirit who possesses such similar talents. It's no surprise we found each other," Caleb tells me with the same grin he's had all evening.

"I would love to! Yes," I reply, looking forward to seeing what I can do.

"Shall we get started on lessons tomorrow?" Caleb asks.

"That would be great! Thank you," I reply as Willie and I get up from our seats.

"Good, we'll talk about what I get in return later. Until we meet again," Caleb says, tipping his hat and vanishing.

I link my arm with Willies as we walk up the steps to leave. "Why were you so weird about me meeting him? This is going to be awesome!" I tell him with a smile.

"Oh, nothing. I was just being paranoid," Willie replies with a sigh as we teleport to our next destination.

♫♪👻♪♫

Three weeks later...

"Alright. Let's see how far your powers go. Try to make these nice ladies here visible to the living," Caleb suggests, gesturing to the four females dressed in bedazzled bodysuits and big colorful feathers that stick out from behind them.

"Alright," I take the challenge before turning to look at a brunette male sitting at a table across the room. I turn back to the females remembering what Caleb has taught me and concentrating on making them visible. I turn to see the male looking straight at them in awe.

"Well done. You seem to have that down now," Caleb says proudly as Willie and I high-five.

"That's great. That would have been really embarrassing if it didn't work. I've been practicing a lot," I say with a shy grin.

"I can tell," Caleb says. He pauses as he thinks for a moment before looking back at me. "Have you tried to make anything else visible by chance?" He asks.

"Like what?" I ask.

"Like something that isn't actually there." He replies.

He watches and steps closer as I think as I shake my head. "Can I do that?" I ask.

"It's possible. I've never seen it happen other than myself but I think it's worth a try." Caleb tells me. "Here. Picture... a flower in your hair. Right, here." He suggests tucking some blond hair away from my face, behind my ear.

I tear my eyes away from his intimidating ones. I concentrate on a flower becoming visible. I try a few more times but nothing happens. "It's not working. I can't do it," I sigh, losing confidence in my abilities.

" Try again. This time, don't focus on a flower just appearing. Think of the details. The petals, the color, the size. The rest will follow along. Just remember what I taught you," Caleb replies.

I take a deep breath before closing my eyes and picturing a single white rose, my favorite, tucked in my hair. I picture it slowly blooming, the petals peeling away from each other to reveal a gorgeous rose. I open my eyes to see Caleb's grin even bigger as he looks at me. "Did it work?" I ask.