Arc 2 Part 2: Truth

"Tell me what you remember m'lady?" Stolas says as the sits against the pedestal and pats the ground  next to him inviting Mei to join him. "You were there when Samael attacked Tsukinoki. When he slaughtered  everyone without mercy." Mei remarked  while she joined the general on the floor.  She starts  to sob; Stolas seeing this pulls her closer into an embrace. For a moment Mei stiffens due to her not being used to such affection. Then she relaxes into his arms.

  "Mei allow me to correct  you; the only life that was lost that day was that of your mother." He pauses briefly to wipe the tears off of Mei's  face then continues," she used the sacred lotus staff to guide the souls of her people into the the staff. This  ritual was done at a price; that price was her ability to reincarnate. At her request  I was to stay by her side in her final moments for she knew Samael  would take her life. However, your birth complicated matters and I was ordered to protect you." Stolas explained to Mei; for a moment it seemed as if he was going to cry but he steeled  himself.

  "Then we got separated by the Reaper Corps. By the time I had found you Samael  had you in chains and you were being teleported  to the Celestial  Realm. I tried  to go after you but some soldiers that stayed behind found me and stopped me." He said while he pounded the ground in frustration.