I Can't Love You

[May 2021]

I spin around and pull the door closed behind me. My breathing is unsteady and my hands are shaking. They are covered in human blood and I am terrified.

"Are... You okay?" Comes a voice from behind me.

I look over my shoulder, tears running down my face. "get away!" I yell, stepping away. "I don't want to kill you!"

"What? Lori, what are you talking about?" My girlfriend is extremely chill for the fact that there is blood on my hands.

"Get away from me!" I scream, "I don't want you dead, too! They cursed me! The gods, they cursed me and I'll kill you, I'll kill you if you love me!"

Janette freezes in place, hand coming up to her lips as she gasps. "They... Cursed you?" She stammers.

"Yes! Because of what I do. We both knew it wouldn't end well..." Tears are now streaming down my face as I begin to feel the urge to bring a knife to her throat.

Janette bites her lip but steps closer to me. I can't stop myself from grabbing her throat and she gives me a sad smile. "Oh, darling..." Her eyes change, suddenly, and I feel like I'm looking at a demon. "You can't kill me!" She kissed and claws at me. Her nails break the skin over my collarbone and I'm suddenly bleeding.

"I can kill you!" My new instinct over takes me and I grab the nearest thing, a shoe, and throw it at her.

Janette grabs the shoe and hissed at me. The shoe burns and falls to the floor in a heap of ashes. "I'm immortal, you idiot!" She screamed. "And I love you with every moment of my cursed life!"

I run at her. I am internally crying as I externally attack her with skills I never learned. Our fighting tears our clothes and makes us bleed. It lasts so long that I begin to get tired. Janette had sprouted black wings in the process. She hugs me to her chest when I am too tired to continue. She brings me to bed and cuddles me until I fall asleep.

When I wake up, the instinct had died off for attempting to attack my girlfriend. Her body had gone back to normal except for the cuts, scratches, and bruises that I had given her.

I break into tears. "I am so sorry!" I exclaim, feeling so terrible for being forced by my curse into attacking her. "I didn't want to hurt you!"

Janette hugs me to herself and pets my hair. "Be quiet, my darling..." She tries to soothe my anxious nerves. "I will love you forever. We will work through this together, but I will always love you. I am immortal, I can not die until the god who cast the spell on me is dead. Now, relax my love. For today shall be a bright new day."

I cuddle into her arms, letting myself try to relax. I can't kill her... I still have somebody to love... I won't be alone.

But she will be the only one who knows me.