Letter to Emaline

Lovely Emaline,

It has been 195 days since the first time we met. You have a laugh like my favorite song, I could listen to it all day. I could get lost in your eyes, and I find that sometimes I do. I can tell you get lost in mine too.
The day we got partnered up was a good day for me. I've always wanted to know you.
I could tell you were nervous, so I tried to make a joke. I think it worked.
I know how you feel about me, Emaline, and I want you to know that I love you too. But my love for you is a different kind of love. Not the kind that parents want their kids to feel, or the kind they have in sappy romance movies. The kind of love that allows you to feel something when you can't feel anything at all. The kind of love that shows you what kind of love you really need.
I do love you, Emaline. Don't mistake that.
For a while I thought we did have the sappy romance move love, but when I lost Luke I realized that love comes in all different shapes and sizes. You were just one size too small for the other half of my heart. I hope you can understand that.

You've taught me a lot, Emaline. And I appreciate what you've done for me. I thank you for being my friend, and I'm sorry that you had to lose yours.

We all lose things in this world that sometimes we never even realized we had.

Unfortunately somewhere in this mix, you and I lost each other.

I'm sorry, Emaline. I truly am.
And thank you again.

Yours truly,
With love,
Ashton Irwin.