New Beginnings

Aphmau stands, her hazel eyes piercing the misty morning, looking out to the sea. Something is moving out there, something big.

"Oh my Irene, it's a-"

"ship?" Aaron interrupts, closing the door to the balcony quietly behind him.

"you're awake early." She says, hardly turning to look at him.

Aphmau strains against the fog, searching the outline of the ship for anyone on the deck. Aaron walks over behind Aphmau, resting his head on hers.

"Where?" he asks, his stark, black eyes once again searching for the outline of a ship. After a bit of searching, they don't see it again.

"it must have been a trick of my eyes," Aphmau whispers.

Voices rang out, both now sure that someone was here. 

"someone's here!" Aphmau says like she had recited it many times-she had actually- to Aaron.

Aaron looks at her and stares into her excited but tired eyes.

"you need to get some rest. I'll take care of things here, okay?" Aaron retorts, knowing that she got little to no sleep last night. 

"okay," she yawns, sounding tiny and defeated. 

Aphmau walks into the house closing the balcony door behind her, and into the bedroom, not getting very far before collapsing on the side of the bed.

Aaron stays for a little longer, enjoying the cool breeze, knowing it will be a sticky humid later.  He takes one last glance out at the water before going back in and quietly making breakfast. He stepped outside onto the front porch when he finished, the temperature already increasing, to eat his pineapple pancakes, with the occasional glance towards the dock.