Chapter-6

He was still looking outside the window when the closing of the door draw his attention towards it. There she stood carrying some eatable things in her hand. He was observing her with narrow eyes. He slowly raised his one eyebrow first but then soon both came scrunched together. He could not believe the maiden standing in front of him. At one point, she puts a strong medicine over his wound which is strong and now she is offering him food when just a few moments ago he was about to kill her. But whenever he sees in her eyes, he finds nothing except pure worry.

Isabella was still standing with a tray in her hand. She looked into his eyes and found complete confusion. She had the same look which her father had when he saw someone for the first time. Her parents have also thought her the skill of reading eyes which is only useful when she looks in eyes of someone or their movement. She can observe for now, but not always, and especially not the Alphas.

She could still see the confusion in his eyes. At first, she frowned but it soon turned into realization.

"It is not poisoned, sir. Please have it."

Alexander frowned he couldn't understand why she said that. He didn't ask her anything nor did he objected. He let her be because he was still looking at her as if she was out of this world. She was too caring for his liking.

He was still in his deep thoughts with wide eyes and eyebrows furrowed. His mouth agape in bewilderment. She saw his confusion as a sign of not trusting her words. Her father has always told her that punishment for traitors is always either death or to never see them. They said such ones can never be trusted again. Since everyone says that she tried to poison the king, no one will trust her now. Although she never did it, yet she was said to be a traitor. Thinking all these things, she slowly took the first bite from every piece and took the first sip of drink to prove that it was not poisoned and he can have it.

"Sir warrior, Eating something will help you. Please take it."

Alexander was again baffled but he took it from her hand. He saw her eyes sparkling and the small pout which made was on her lips. Something stirred inside him when he looked at her sad expression. He didn't like it and for some unknown reason, for the first time in his life, he wanted to make an effect to make someone 'happy'.

Not thinking any further, he decided to eat what she offered to him. Milk did help but the burning sensation but was still present. After he was finished all that she brought him, he started observing the girl. She was making another paste. He has been in various situations but never has he seen someone like her. She was petite and knew about herbs, which was not common to be found among maidens and definitely not among maidens. There was also no denying the fact that she was a beauty who should be attracting a lot of suitors. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that the mere thought of someone else other than him trying to court her, makes him mad, and his inner beast stirs. He cursed himself with profanities. He couldn't believe the way he was behaving. He was not a young lad who gets jealous. He was the king for god's sake. He was brought out from his thought by her words.

"Sir warrior,.."

"Call me Xander."

"Xander,.. have this where it hurt after cleaning yourself when the birds sing. And when the moon comes up, it will not hurt you."

Birds Sing??!!

" You mean when the sun comes up and the moon sleeps?"

"Yes!!..."

"Okay."

"Is it warm and feels like hundreds of bugs walking right now?"

His eyebrows became furrowed together once again. 'Bugs? Warm? Is she talking about burning sensation?' He had already told her that what he was feeling was called a burning sensation. He tried to find in her actions if she was jesting about him. But he found none. He couldn't help but chuckle a little. Humour was clearly evident in his eyes. With a smile on his face, he looked at her.

"You say what I feel?"

She placed her finger on her chin and her eyebrows frowned together. She was looking concentrated at some space. Then suddenly she slightly jumped on her feet. Her eyes sparkled and a huge grin broke out on her face.

" It is warm, like a lot warm. Then the bugs walk but I can't see."

That broke out another chuckle out of him. He found her cute. He took a second to observe her. Her big doe blue eyes, filled with confusion and curiosity. He didn't know why he suddenly felt the need and desire to protect this petite-looking girl. Her little to nothing knowledge could harm anyone. It made him wonder if she knows about the dangers in the world or not. Her words were full of curiousness and innocence. He could see that she is grown but her words appear as if of a child.

No matter how much he tried, he couldn't shake the feeling and need of protecting her. The innocent aura was nothing which he had ever experienced and it was not helping his situation. He was confused by his own mouth. Was it her beauty or her innocence. Maybe it was a bit of both.

"What's your name? I told you mine, it's rude not to tell your name."

"Oh, It's Isabella. But people usually call me Bell or Bella. They say it's long."

"Okay."

Isabella knew the herb which she has applied is strong. Sure eating something reduces the pain, but the best way to reduce the feeling of pain is to distract.

"Sir warrior.."

"I am listening."

"You know, everyone says I tried to kill the king. But I have not. I was in kitchen when that man came and took me. I try to tell but no one listens. They are scary."

The realization drawned upon Alexander. Since he has send the man in the dungeons and the girl to be banished, the people of the castle will not believe her and think she was involved. A sob broke him out of his thoughts. Her lips were quivering and body was slightly shaking. He felt bad. He knew that she was probably far from the conspiracy but yet he was hard on her.

"The king will not let you go. I am his personal guard after all."

"That means you are not a warrior? You don't defend people?"

By now her cries had stopped. She slowly rubbed her fisted hand across her eyes. Her eyes were still shining with the unshed tears but the confusion in her eyes had distracted her from some time. While the king called her 'cute' in his mind. By now the king know that something is seriously wrong with him to think for such words.

"I do, but I go on battles only when required to. Usually, my work is to keep the king safe."

"Then it's a good thing I found you. That will make you feel as if you never had a wound."

Isabella was now Isabella noticed the slouching of Alexander. At first, she thought maybe that was it. But then she noticed a yawn coming out of his mouth and the slow closing of his eyes. She slowly placed a thin sheet over him to make him sleep while she picked an animal's skin which was given to her by her parents. Their exact words were, 'You need them, you don't have fur for warmth.' and made herself curl on the floor while he slept on the bed.

The last thought in the head of Alexander was, why he feels what he does with her and not with someone else. If he did the right thing by keeping her in the castle or not while her mind was filled with memories of the pack and a new coming day.