Arc:Re Chapter 9

Chapter 9.

(XYZ)

Another harsh wave of attacks slashed through the ground as two teens quickly jumped out of its blast range by the skin of their teeth.

"Ha ha~ There's nowhere you can run so just give up and lend your life source to Academia !" The captain of Obelisk Force laughed maniacally.

Retreating to the top of a fallen building, the duo hid behind a vertical rooftop stuck within the head of the building, just out of enemy sight.

Checking their current situation, Yuto's brows tightened, "This is bad, they've blocked all the openings."

"At this rate, we won't have anywhere to escape to while they continue to increase in number," Ruri swallowed worryingly.

Scanning through the Square, something caught his attention as he turned to his friend, "The force over there is still pretty weak, if we're able to sabotage them before the others realise anything, we might just have a chance of breaking past the enemy line and escaping."

"But that's if we manage to avoid alerting the other forces," Ruri replied.

The risk was high, but it was the only way out before all hopes were lost so Yuto determinedly answered, "It's better than getting completely surrounded and immediately turned into cards."

Hearing her friend's words, the girl gave him a helpless smile, "Guess it's all or nothing."

Nodding in union, the two quickly jumped into action, each taking one of the two sides as they ran towards the targeted defence line.

Once at the end of each side, the duo silently summoned their monster and began the rapid attack, taking everyone on sight by surprise.

"Now!" Yuto cried to his friend the moment he saw an opening.

Combining their attacks together, the resistants blew a hole through the enemy line and jumped onto their monsters, dashing towards freedom, not daring to look back.

As they begin to believe that they've successfully escaped, a blast of laser from behind soon shattered it.

Assembly Nightingale, who was closer to the attack, managed to make it out unharmed but also lost its balance in return, causing Ruri to lose her grip and fall off its wings.

"Aaahhh!!!—" the girl screamed in horror as she saw everything flashed before her.

Closing her eyes tightly, unwilling to accept this to be her end, the painful and deadly crash she had expected never came as she felt a pair of strong arms holding her tightly.

Slowly opening her eyes, she was met with a pair of worried light grey pupils as she heard her friend ask, "Are you ok Ruri?!"

Seeing the panic in the boy's usual dull face, the girl smiled, "Yeah, thanks for saving me."

Breathing a sigh of relief, Yuto looked back towards their attacker furiously while the other returned a sadistic laugh, "Think you can escape? Ha ha—"

Also seeing who had attacked them now, Ruri stood up, her eyes sharpened, "What to do now?"

Glancing at his friend, Yuto knew their chance of escaping had been greatly reduced, the only choice left is—

"Let's attack the golem on both sides, maybe we can weaken it at the very least," Yuto replied.

"It can't be helped," Ruri nodded, also understanding the life or death risk they're taking as she hopped back onto her monster.