prologue

PROLOGUE

THE BOATS MOVED ALL AT ONCE, gliding through the seemingly endless lake as their tracks formed small waves that lightly bumped into the oak body, tossing droplets of water at the wide-eyed students. The sound of the water swaying under the boats caressed Daphne's ears, tickling her senses as the grand castle slowly revealed itself under the full moon's light, glowing, while whispering to her to hurry up, to savour the narrative crafted for her before its taste turned bitter.

     The young girl's skin tingled as she moved under the weak light produced by the torches stationed at the high walls, their marble stones towering over her as she meticulously followed the straight line of first years formed by Hagrid, the groundskeeper. Soon, the echo of their light pats to the rocky ground diminished as they reached an equally tall, oak door that hid the grand castle with all of its secrets, whether pleasant or grim.

     After what felt like hours, the door swung open with a loud creak that got Daphne's stomach tumble as a slender figure appeared from the newfound source of light. The woman at the gate marched towards the first years with such confidence that it cracked the anxiousness hovering over them, furnishing the feeling of durability that splattered a sense of relief to their hearts, the feeling of arriving home. The tall witch glanced through the sea of students, taking in their postures and expressions, as her emerald robes shone under the light provided by the torches, contrasting her dark hair and revealing the silver strands lurking within.

     The students returned to their perfect line to follow the witch, climbing through many marble stairs that housed countless untold tales and to the chamber that held a high ceiling, much like the rest of the castle.

     "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily. I highly encourage all of you to proper yourselves as much as you can until I return to take you to the ceremony," Professor McGonagall announced. Her stern tone pierced through Daphne, who had created an abrupt beat with light taps to her arm while inhaling deep breaths, trying to prevent her frame from shuddering in excitement. "And, please, wait for me quietly."

     With a bright grin etched over his lips, Lee Jordan made a sudden turn on his heels to face the set of ginger twins and the grey-eyed girl he acquainted on the train. "So," he began, not batting an eye to the elderly witch's instructions. "which House d'you reckon to get sorted into?"

     "Gryffindor, obviously —" Fred answered eagerly. The words had left his mouth with such urgency that it got the blonde girl to wonder whether he'd been preparing himself to answer that exact question all his life.

     "— like the rest of our family!" George added, a similar excitement glazing over his words.

     "Wicked! I hope so, too." Lee answered as his eyes flew to the blonde standing beside them. "What about you, Daphne?"