chapter four

CHAPTER FOUR

I WAS SLIPPING AWAY to that tiny crack between the world of the living and the dreaming when I saw a silvery head marching up to my seat, drenched in distress

     "Have you heard the news?" Crystal said quietly but hurriedly. I could not make sense of her words. Perhaps it was courtesy of my drowsiness; Perhaps it was her that spoke cryptically.

     "What news?"

     "Daily Prophet this morning they reckon Black's been sighted by the Muggles."

     Cassius' head, which once had been engraved between his foiled arms, perked up.

     "Bollocks," he spoke in a hoarse voice, and his head fell once more.

     "Where?" I asked.

     "Not too far from here," Crystal watched me, watched as she let her words sink in and morph into blades that slashed through the stone known as my heart. "I thought well, I figured you might want to hear it."

     No, I wanted to say. I did not want to hear anything about that wretched man.

     Then Professor Lupin entered the class, and the room fell into silence. He had a vague smile playing on his lips and an old briefcase resting over the teacher's desk.

     "Good afternoon," he said. "Would you please put down your books and take out your wands. Today, we'll be practising Hex-Deflection. I'm prepared to mend everything from Bat-Bogeys to Twitchy-Ears, so please do not hold back while we are practising in class. To begin, let's discuss the various uses and functions of Hex-Deflection. Any thoughts?"

     I looked down at my book and traced the letters with my eyes. My mind lingered too much for far too long about Sirius Black to give any thought to the professor. 

     "Why, that is an excellent answer, Lee. Though, I would also like to hear Daphne's opinion on Hex-Deflection."

     All attention fell over my slouched figure, and I felt overly exposed. But the look on the professor's face nudged me out of my infiltrating thoughts.

     "Hex-Deflection is a fundamental part of duelling, mainly while facing an opponent that is handy when it comes hexes, as it is the counterspell to what we might face," I explained, and he beamed at me.

     "Another excellent answer," said Professor Lupin. "Why don't you come forth to demonstrate to your friends how Hex-Deflection works, Daphne?"

     I raised my eyebrow, thinking that the man had gone nuts, asking for me to demonstrate my hexing skills, the child of the most wanted criminal.

     I stood up hesitantly and walked forward as though walking over shards of glass which was the stares of the Gryffindors.

     "Are you asking me to hex you, sir?"