chapter one

CHAPTER ONE

MY FATHER WAS A WIZARD and the son of wizards

MY FATHER WAS A WIZARD and the son of wizards. A lot was whispered about him: about his appearance, about his demeanour, but mostly about his deeds. Some said he was a tall, handsome man, that if your eyes were allured to his charming face, you were to be cursed for the remainder of your life with its magnificence. The others remained faithful to the image painted on the papers: that his appearance mirrored his personality, gruesome and ghastly — that if you crossed paths, you would wish you were dead.

     Grandmother spoke about him, only once, that he failed her, the family name, and that his presence solely tarnished our lineage. The Blacks. But there was no obtained description from her front either, from the actual source, the monster's mother. Sirius Black, my father, was grotesque of a man, and that was enough knowledge for my younger self. The more I knew, the more I hated the flesh I was fated to reside in up to my dying day.

     But, the paper Cassius Avery waved towards my face forced me into crumbling each and every wall I had crafted regarding my monster of a father. For the first time in many, many years, I was seeing him. Perhaps not in person, not in flesh and blood, but the crazy man in the moving picture was more than enough.

     "Stop hurling it to my face, Cassius. I've already seen it."

     I had not. For days, I had done anything and everything to manoeuvre from the long-awaited confrontation — yet I knew that it was inevitable and coming for my head. Regardless, I found a childish pleasure in hiding, hiding from him, hiding from the news, hiding from the judgemental eyes of the riches, hiding from the haunting thoughts that willfully plagued my nights.

     The hide-and-seek game had ended that night at the Avery House.

     "No, Mia, I didn't mean him," said Cassius. "I meant you. The Daily Prophet has written about you!"

     The mentioning of my name, in the Daily Prophet that is, seized my attention so swiftly that I didn't skip a minute to grab the newspaper dangling in Cassius' hand. It couldn't be good, certainly not after Sirius Black's breakout from the bloody Azkaban Prison.

◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

THE LAUREL CROWN OF THE BLACK DYNASTY!

As perhaps the most infamous mass murderer, Sirius Black, runs rampant, many are reminded of that terrible night. Well, it is to say that that faithful night is indeed not the only thing Sirius Black has left behind. One must remind the rest of the lot about the little Black running around. But do not fret, dear readers, this one, seems not to bite! So let me present you, Daphne Black, the darling flower he has left us.