chapter six

CHAPTER SIX

CASSIUS HAD SPENT such a long time up in the dormitory, getting all dressed up, that we were the last ones left standing in the room illuminated by the emerald torches and the salutings of the Black Lake

     "Good Merlin," The scowl growing on Adrian's face shone through the light crackling by the hundreds of candle-filled pumpkins swimming lazily above the chatters of the students, "How come we manage to be the last ones to arrive at the Halloween Feast every bloody year?"

     "It's called being fashionably late, mate," Cassius gave a lopsided grin, but the stain of scarlet on his cheeks inched up to the tip of his ears as Adrian turned to look at him, his scowl now a tired sigh to his quirked up lips. And we took our seats at the table, fading into the emerald.

     The food was colourful, and it was many, boasting a great feast living up to the name of Hogwarts. And it was nearly good enough that it made up for the fact that I had missed the chance to fill myself to the brim with candy and chocolate with butterbeer and laughter.

     The scarlet hue to Cassius did not vanish for the rest of the evening, and to me, it was an amusing reminder of his cheekiness, and the words that danced around his lips as we sat and ate and laughed like kids. At that moment's beat, it was just us, untamed by the cruelty of our world, and we were back to how we were as kids: free of the wrinkles of the fame to our names and oblivious to its heavy burden mounting over our dainty shoulders.

     Merlin, I thought, let this last forever and ever.

     I should have known better than to call upon whoever was above.

     It all went downhill all so sudden. At first, it all was another usual evening, and we were back in our dorms and nearly engulfed in the warmth of our beds. Then it was Professor Snape, the head of our House, Slytherin, yelling through the common room, and then Crystal was gone alongside the rest of the prefects, and we were shepherded back to Great Hall like a herd of sheep hunted by the wolf of the village.

     "What is bloody wrong with him?" Phoebe hissed to my ear as we were escorted by Professor Snape, who appeared even more terse than usual. "And what is this deal with security?"

     I was sure that he had finally lost his marbles, that if he had any, of course. I could only speculate about what made him lose them. We could only speculate. But the question laid heavily over us, waiting to be articulated, and I could do nothing until it was answered.

     Then, we reached the stairs to the Great Hall and saw the mischievous poltergeist of Hogwarts, Peeves.

     "I think I know someone who would know the answer to your question, Phoebe." The elder Parkinson sister turned to me, brows drawn near, and watched as I called up to Peeves.