TWO

The Outer Banks Paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island.

As John B drove further onto the island they came into Figure Eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. They soon entered the south side, otherwise known as the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... The Pogues. Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. Lowest member of the food chain. 

Okay. So, the downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. But the upside to Pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want. 

Grace lay on the pull out couch with Kiara next to her. Grace had to sleep there last night because when she had gotten home her room had been occupied by JJ and some random girl from the party. 

"Morning, Kie. Is she okay?" John B said as he walked into the living room.

"Morning. Yeah, she'll be fine." The girl responded.

"Ughhhh. My head hurts." Grace complained as she was woken up by the bright sun shining in through the windows. 

"Well maybe you shouldn't have drank so much last night." John B retorted while picking up a bottle of beer and clinking it on the picture of Uncle T. Grace flipped him off in response and got up from the pullout to get a glass of water.

Once she had gotten her glass of water, she followed her brother outside onto the hammock hanging from the tree. Both of the two thinking about their father who had gotten lost at sea nine months ago. The only difference between the two was that Grace believes that he is dead, but John B just can't seem to believe it. 

"Grace, John, it's come to our attention that you two are unemancipated minors living on your own." Their social worker, Cheryl, said while looking at the two.

John B scoffed. "No... no."

"How can we be alone if we have each other?" Grace jokingly responded with a smirk.

Cheryl just looked between the two. "I need honesty to help you. That what we all want, right?" She said as she ignored Grace's comment.

"I'm being honest." John b said with a slight grin.

"Okay, then when is the last time that you spoke to your uncle?" The social worker asked the two.

John B lifted his right hand to where a watch would be if he owned one. "Uh... 34 minutes ago."

"Okay and when's the last time that you saw him"  Cheryl asked as she looked up from writing.

"About two hours and... 43 minutes ago?" Grace said while looking at her twin. Cheryl looked at the girl with a slightly irritated look on her face. 

"John, Grace, we're gonna come out there tomorrow to talk to your uncle. If he's not there, we're gonna move forward with foster care. I want to assure you, we're going to find you two a safe and loving home." Cheryl said with a blank expression.

The two immediately knew that they thought the same thing with a single look, they actually thought that we would be happy to hear that. 

Later that night the group of five sat on the beach around a small fire while the sun was setting. John b sat about fifteen feet away from them facing the opposite direction. 

The next morning the twins had went to the dock only to see on the tv that hurricane Agatha was on its way. The two walked out of the small shack onto the dock to be met with blowing winds, storm sirens, and frantic people. John B walked a few feet away from his sister and called DCS, informing the woman that had answered the phone that they would have to reschedule.