Prologue

New York 1961

The dim lights hung from the ceiling above the breakfast bar, sing high up rust chairs lined along it, only one occupied. The white paint in the walls slowly started to turn grey. The booths of red seats are all empty. As the waitress with blonde hair in her yellow and white uniform said her goodbyes she left the dinner, the bell above the door ringing her exit.

Leaving the women with tanned skin and black hair, and chocolate brown eyes, cooking the customers grilled cheese. Slowly humming a song. Finishing up the dish she quickly brushed off her hands on her apron that was upon her yellow uniformed skirt but also above a pair of black leggings covering her legs.

"Sorry about the long wait." She said as she walked out the kitchen holding the plate in her hand, "I'm not normally the one that cooks." she finished as she placed the plate in front of the man.

"Thanks," he said, glancing up at her. The woman finally noticed the strange attire. He wore a dark brown cowboy hat, along with a long leather coat. He had a dark green button up shirt underneath chains around his neck, matching the rings on his fingers. And a pair of black skinny jeans and formal shoes.

Glancing down at the plate she saw a chess board laid out beside it, seeing him go through the Benko gambit. Acting before she could think she picked up one of the pieces and moved it. The man looked up at her immediately. "Sorry" she mumbled, placing the piece back.

"Don't be" he said, putting his hand back onto the same piece and back to where she placed it. "I've been stuck on that for the past hour." he chuckled.

"You play professionally or.." she trailed.

"Yeah" he nodded. "Do you?"

"Do I look it" she joked, gesturing to her waitressing uniform.

"Who knows, I definitely don't look the part."

She shrugged "I think you look good. Keeps you different from the old snobby players." she complimented.

"Thank you" he said blushing slightly, "You never answered my question. Do you play?"

"A little bit." She admitted.

"Want a game?" He asked, his hand gesturing to the board.

As the two young adults played, they soon came to a rounded end of the man winning. She held a slight frown on her face. "Tough game." he said.

She rolled her eyes, "You're just saying that." she looked at the board and then back at him "Speed chess?" she offered.

"Are you sure?" he raised an eyebrow at her.

"I'll bet you 10 bucks I'll win." she challenged.

"How can we bet when I don't even know your name." he said looking across the table at her.

"Well you never asked."

"Neither did you."

She rolled her eyes playfully, "Mavis" she said sticking her hand out "but my friends call me Meave."

He smiled slightly at her "Benny" he replied, shaking her hand.

"As in Benjamin or just Benny?" she asked.

"Benny, just Benny."

"Full name" she said, recognising the name slightly.

"Benny Watts" he answered.

"Full name" she repeated, now messing with him.

He huffed out air "Benny Jack Watts"

"Cute name" she nodded approvingly. "Especially when it's one the name for the game for the US championships."