Chapter twenty four~ A Game Of Life And Death

"This entire killing game has been a simulation. Right now, your real bodies are in a coma like state. The games alter your memories to make you believe that you are the character you are meant to play as, and changes back once you leave the game. But, this concept was in a experimental stage, and we were its...test subjects. We've been testing game after game for two years."

Everyone looked at Mat in shock. "What do you mean?! This is real!" Nate yelled. "No, it's not. We are inside a video game. The first Dangan Ronpa game, to be exact." Mat explained. "So, if what you're saying is true, everyone's safe, right?" Josh asked. "No. The game was...hacked or something. It was changed so that, one, we stayed ourselves inside the game. We were meant to become the different characters in the game. Two, people who died in the game died in the real world. Before, if you died, you just woke up. Now, the game causes your body to think it has died, and kill you. There are also a few minor glitches that the hack caused, like some names being mixed up. That's how we thought that Jirard's name was Jarod." Mat said. "Wait, it can kill people?" Doug asked. "Now it can, because of him." Mat said, looking at Caddie. "Well, you can't blame it all on me. I have a buddy in the real world who helped me out. Though, most of it was my idea." Caddie said triumphantly. "That's not something to be proud of!" Nate yelled.

"So, how'd you get out?" Nico asked. "The programmers of this thing were trying to get people out the entire time. I was their only success, though, due to some faulty equipment. Everyone else just ended up awake for a few seconds, then went back in to the game and forgot about it. The closest they had ever come was with Jared, getting him in some sort of in between area. To him, the world seemed and acted like a game. Most if the time this was in his dreams and almost instantly forgotten. He only started remembering what he saw very recently. The programmers thought that they could try and take him out while he was in this state, even though it was dangerous. If it didn't work properly, and he didn't leave the game, he would be dead." Mat said. "So, he's dead?" Doug asked, glancing down at Jared. "Not yet, but could be very soon." Mat said. "Can we help him?" Nate asked. "I don't know. His life is in the programmer's hands. They can chose to keep him in the game and keep him alive, or they can take him out completely and, well...kill him." Mat explained sadly.

"Well, they wouldn't do that, right? This is human life! They can't just kill him!" Josh said quickly, looking panicked . "You think they care about human life? HAHAHA! They couldn't give two shits about human life, or any kind of life for that matter. We're just their lab rats. Expendable, useless, lab rats." Caddie said happily. "What do you mean?" Doug asked. "It's true. They...didn't care about the life of their subjects. We weren't the first ones to test this thing. The others...they died." Mat explained.

Everyone was silent. Caddie watched with a smile on his face a the despair spread over the youtubers. Mat glared at the mastermind. "T-This is so messed up...how...?" Nico mumbled. "H-How have they not been caught?" Nate asked. "Nobody even knows the first few test subjects are dead. Most people think the only reason we're here is to see how it works and publicize it." Mat said. "But, for two years?" Doug asked. "They have memory altering technology, I'm sure they could fuck around and get anyone who cared to believe its just been a few days." Caddie said gleefully.

"Oh! Oh oh oh! I almost forgot! Once you guys found out about this game stuff, I would show you pictures of what you look like in the real world. Damn I'm stupid." Caddie suddenly said loudly. "They don't need to see that..." Mat said. "To bad! It's what their going to see! Now, take a look!" Caddie yelled happily.

The walls somehow flickered, and changed. They changed to a picture of Nate. He was laying on his back, eyes closed peacefully. But, that was the only peaceful thing about him. He was skinny, so skinny you could see his ribs clearly through his skin. His hair was shaved, and his arms were basically bones. He seemed to be plugged into some kind of machine, with wires coming out of his head, arms and chest.

"W-What is that..." Nate asked fearfully. "That's you, Natey! Just look at you, skin and bones. You're barely alive anymore, you know. You're just a, a...shell of a person. You should almost be thankful for this. You and Hunter got a hell of a lot closer while losing your minds inside of video games." Caddie explained. Nate looked at the photo in horror. "Hey, do you guys want to see everyone else?" Caddie asked. Before anyone could say anything, a new picture flashed on the walls. This picture was of Josh. He was in the same state as Nate, only with a scar running up his arm. "Once, you had a major freak out, and got that scar. It was insane!" Caddie explained, looking at the picture. Josh was scared silent.

More pictures came, one at a time, of each survivor. They all looked close to death and boney. Doug was pinned in place in his picture. Caddie said it was because Doug had struggled and tried to escape. Nico had a bruised cheek in his picture. Caddie forgot where he got that from.

Finally, Caddie showed a picture of himself. "Then there's me. Look at that." Caddie said. Caddie was just as boney and dead looking as everyone else. The walls changed back to normal. "There. Now, do you really want to leave the school?" Caddie asked.

"O-Of course w-we d-do!"

Everyone looked down at where the voice had come from.

Siting there was a man. He looked weak and tried, but alive. He was slowly trying to stand, even though his legs felt like jelly. He looked determined, ready for any challenge he had to face.

This was Jared, the Super Youtuber Level Monster Hunter.