part eight. (1126 words)

wednesday, 1350pm.

yuna blinks as hard as she can to keep herself awake during the last ten minutes of her class. she tried everything but she still felt like sleeping.

"10 minutes, 10 minutes, 10 minutes..." she mutters under her breath as she frustratingly taps her pen on the table.

she looks out the door and smiles as she sees junhoe already waiting for her outside her class.

as soon as the bell rang, she packs her bag in a rush and runs out the door happily.

"woah, did something good happen? why are you so happy?"

"i'm just excited to go to the arcade," she starts humming. "anyway, why does your class always get early dismissal? that's so unfair."

"because, we geniuses, listen in class." yuna slaps his arms hard. he quickly rubs in to subdue the pain.

as they walk down the hallway, few of their classmates and friends turn to look at the both of them together.

"do you think our act is so good that all of them believe we're together?" yuna chuckles as she whispers into his ears.

he looks around and doesn't give a reply. instead, he just shrugs.

1430pm.

yuna runs up to the arcade first as soon as she sees it. junhoe tries to hide his laughter and catches up with her.

"you're like a kid," junhoe shakes his head.

"everyone's a kid when they come to the arcade."

junhoe looks around suspiciously as yuna explores the arcade to see which game she should play first. he lets out a disappointing sigh before walking to where he thought yuna would be.

"i knew it," junhoe looks at yuna as he folds his arms.

"basketball is kinda my life so..." yuna scratches her head, embarrassed.

"bet you can't beat the prodigy," junhoe teases her.

"bet you i can!" yuna gives a challenging stare which did not scare junhoe even a little.

the timer counts down and they start their fierce battle. not even looking at each other, they start throwing in the balls into the hoops, trying not to miss any.

yuna hurriedly tries to push in a few more as the timer starts to end. junhoe smiles as he sees that and slows down his actions to let her win.

"yes, i won!!!!!" yuna shouts as she sees their scores; yuna 258, junhoe 236.

"yes, you did."

"okay i chose this game, so you choose the next one."

"uh, the claw machines?" junhoe asks softly while pointing to the machines all lined up in a row.

"you play the claw machines?" yuna widens her eyes.

"who doesn't?"

junhoe walks over first while yuna picks her bag up and follows behind.

they both choose one machine and start trying their luck in getting the toys. yuna starts losing her will to do it and looks at junhoe instead. junhoe stares into the machine, not blinking as he tries to get the claw in its correct position.

"please, please, please..." he mutters under his breath as he pushes the 'down' button.

the claw picks up the pink bunny by the head and drops it in through the hole.

"yes!" junhoe quietly celebrates his achievement as yuna clap in awe.

junhoe turns his head as soon as he heard a familiar voice in expectation but immediately turns away as he sees a female holding on to another guy's arm, walking past them. his head drops in disappointment and he looks sadly at the toy.

yuna looks around awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

"should we go?" yuna lightly taps on junhoe's arm.

he nods and they both pick up their bags to leave.

1530pm.

as they got on the bus quietly, yuna turns to look at junhoe without saying anything. junhoe turns suddenly and they make a sudden eye contact, but they did not turn away. they continue looking at each other in silence until yuna starts talking.

"was that... your ex-girlfriend?"

junhoe nods and looks away.

"and that was the guy she cheated on me with."

"then why do you still want her back? she clearly doesn't deserve it." yuna stares at junhoe, slightly frustrated.

"i truly loved her with all my heart. i never knew i had that much love to give," junhoe says in despair.

yuna softly sighs, knowing she went a little overboard.

"she was my first love. i gave her all i had but i guess it still wasn't enough for her," he continued.

yuna looks at his shivering hands and lightly taps on them, hoping to calm him a bit.

junhoe puts his hand on hers instead and holds it tight, still not looking at her.

"just for awhile," he whispers.

yuna froze in her seat, not knowing what to do or how to react. she just stared out her window, looking at anything that passes her way.

1600pm.

junhoe lets go of her hand and walks down the bus first as she follows from behind.

"do you want me to walk you home?" yuna jokes to break the silence.

"that's my line, don't steal it." junhoe smiles.

"it's fine, i can go home on my own," yuna laughs.

"uh, can i just send you home today? i have lots on my mind, walking with you might just help clear them all away."

yuna stops in her tracks and looks at junhoe as she lets out a scoff in disbelief.

"up to you, part-time boyfriend."

"lead the way, part-time girlfriend."

yuna shakes her head and walks ahead.

"so, if your girlfriend asked you to be hers again, would you agree?" yuna asks softly.

junhoe thinks about the question in silence, not giving any response.

"you wanna know what i'd do?" yuna breaks the silence.

"what?" junhoe looks at yuna as they walk slowly side by side.

"i'd let time pass for me to heal. and find someone who's worth my time and someone who'll love me the way i love them. so i think that's what you should do, because you're worth so much more." junhoe looks at yuna as she talks seriously.

"why aren't you doing that for yourself then?" junhoe stares at her.

yuna stops in her tracks at his words. she realised that she had been doing the opposite of whatever advice she just gave to junhoe. she stands in silence as she furrows her eyebrows.

"you don't have to answer that, let's go."

junhoe holds yuna's arm and walks with her back to her home.

the rest of the way home was silent. just junhoe's hand on yuna's arm and the sounds from their shoes.

"thank you for sending me home," yuna says softly, trying to avoid eye contact.

"thank you for letting me do so," junhoe smiles.