Awards and Friends

Ellie POV:

"Welcome to practice, we're here to have fun. Let's remember, this is kids' sports. The stakes could not be lower. *Looks behind even to see Koob* What's wrong with Koob?", Coach asked.

Evan said, "Ugh, poor guy. Looks like just skating out here in all that equipment knocked him out."

"Hey, Koob, how you doin' bro?", I asked him.

"Cold. Wet. At least the ice numbs the pain.", Koob replied.

Evan asked his mom, "Want me to line up some pucks so we can start stickhandling?"

"No, no, we're not doing pucks today. We're doing something different and better and safer.", she pulled out a bag, "Beach Balls!"

Everyone started cheering while Evan and I just looked at each other.

"This is a nightmare.", He said.

"Agreed all the positivity and beach balls are making me sick.", He just laughed.

So we went and played hockey with beach balls? Why did I join this team?

"All right! Everybody's stick has to touch the ball once before it goes in the goal! Hey, yes! Isn't this fun?"

I skated by her really fast, "No."

Then she just left.

(Time skipper-rooni)

We decided to go to a pizza place with the Don't Bothers. 

"Okay, Guys, as you are all aware, we have our very first game against the Cardinals on Saturday. I have done my research. The Cardinals are extremely good. Uh, very strong team. However, it does not matter if we win or lose. So, that is why I thought we would have our awards ceremony tonight."

Evan stopped her, "Wait. Before our first game? This is what teams do at the end of the season, Mom."

"Well, yes, but we're doing things a different way. We're doing things the 'Don't Bothers way'. What happens out there on the ice does not define us. We are special and awesome. No matter what."

Evan whispered to me, "My world is upside down."

I whispered back, "This sounds like what my PeeWee coach used to tell me when it was 1-18."

"I would like to start with Nick."

"It's not even a participation trophy. I mean you haven't even participated in anything yet.", Evan told Nick.

"Dude, I've never won anything in my life. Let's hear what the lady has to say.", He replied.

I just said out loud, "I'm surrounded by idiots."

Evan laughed. I gave him a fist bump, "I understood that reference."

"Yo, and I understood that reference!"

The table just looked at us. "We're sorry, continue.", Evan said.

"Nick, I would like to give you the award for Most Improved Player Since Yesterday."

Evan and I just facepalmed.

"I...I don't know what to say. You don't do it for the awards like this, but it's nice to be recognized."

"Logan, you get the award for Best Attitude."

"Aw, thank you. I mean, right back at you, Miss M. You set the tone. And that comes from the top."

"Sam, you get the award for Most Likely to Give Me a Heart Attack."

"Maya, the award for Most Likely to Make Me Buy a New Vest, which I did."

"Ellie, you get the award for Most Sassy but Classy. You care about hockey, you aren't afraid to state your opinion, and you always look good, even in baggy sweatpants."

"And, Evan, you get the award for the Person Who Cares About Hockey the Most."

"Hey, Mom do you think we could talk for a sec."

(Yet another time skip)

I started walking away from the diner, but then I felt an arm grab me. My first instinct was to turn around and punch them. So, I did.

"Oh my gosh, Evan, I'm so sorry! Are you okay? Do you need to call your mom? A Doctor? I don't think I broke it. Do you need ice, I could-"

"I'm okay, chill out. It was just a stupid mistake, I shouldn't have grabbed your arm. If-"

"Umm... Evan, your nose is bleeding. Here."

I handed him a few napkins. "I had these leftover from dinner."

After a few minutes, Evan's nose stopped bleeding.

"So, back to what I was going to tell you before this whole... Incident happened. I was wondering If you wanted to hang out and get like icecream or something, my mom has to do something and I didn't want to be alone."

"Sure! You know, we could get icecream and go to my treehouse."

"That sounds pretty cool actually.