First Game

Ugh, Game Day. It's not that I don't like to play games, we just straight up suck. It's not like Coach doesn't know it herself! I mean, look at us, most of us can't even move without falling over. She gave us trophies after our SECOND practice, for Pete's sake.

Good News, my parents are back! I told them yesterday that I joined a local hockey team, and that they should come. My mom said they might...

(time skip by Dean taking his shirt off in D3)

Mr. A drove me to the Ice Palace in his personal car, surprisingly he knew right where he was going.
"How do you know where it is?"
"My wife, Adrian, used to play here when I was about your age. Are your parents coming?" He asked as we pulled into the parking lot. (Read my other book, but I mean this is kinda spoilers for something I haven't written yet.)

"That's cool, they said they might be a little late but that's okay. It's more games than any of the wrestling matches I've been doing for the past six years. Well, It was nice talking to you, don't wanna be late!"
I opened the door and got out.

"I'll see you soon, kid. Call me if you need a ride. Whatever happens, I'M PROUD OF YOU! Go get em' girl."

I shut the door and walked to the building. With the words, 'I'm proud of you.', playing through my head. Whatever, let's go kick some butt.

I walked into the locker room and Evan came up to me, "You ready?"
"Honestly, not really, but my parents should be here so that's good."

"Nice, you have nothing to worry about, others not so much."

"Heh, yeah you're right. You'd make a good captain, you always know the right thing to say."

"Thanks, I guess, we should probably get ready to play."

"Right, go kick some ass."

I got ready, is it even legal to not have matching socks and jerseys? I have a Penguins, Crosby, jersey. I know, I know everyone's made fun of me. (As a Pittsburgian I am biased.)

Coach came in and started talking, "Okay, guys, we gotta get out there. I'm not great at motivational speeches, but I just wanna say... no matter what happens out there today, I'm so proud of you guys. The true measure of a person is not in how many times they fall down, but it's how many times they pick themselves back up. And today, I have a feeling that you're gonna fall down a lot. But there's one thing I know and that is that over the last few days, we've really become a team. And to make it official... I've got jerseys!"

She gave us all our jerseys, I got number 4, my favorite number.

"Hey Coach, Did you know that was my favorite number?"
"It is? What a coincidence!"

We walked out of the room and out onto the ice. I was left-wing and Evs was right, for some reason he had Logan take center. I looked at Evan across the ice he gave me a reassuring look. He can read me so well. The refs blow the whistle...

"I'm proud of you."

...And the dude literally shot from half. WTF. I'm speechless.

I made the decision that I should take center.

The ref blew the whistle, and I pushed the dude over and passed it to Evan. And he got pushed into the boards. Welp, guess I'm playing everywhere. I ran over and stole the puck and got slammed into the goal post.

What kind of fucking refs are these?

After they scored their sixth goal the end of the second quarter, I thought I would show off for my mom and dad. I stole the puck and went down the ice faked out the goalie and scored.

The buzzer went off, it went off, everyone was going crazy. My teammates all hugged me and cheered, our side of the crowd was going nuts. I looked for my parents in crowd.

Then I saw the two empty seats.

The two seats a poor little girl saved for her rich parents.