ONE

It was like a dream. No, it was a dream- it had to be.

It seemed obvious that he was dreaming when he woke up in a flower field, full of lilacs and lilies. It was the only thing that could explain what he was seeing.

He had fallen asleep in his room in Florida, the humidity from outside drowning out the air conditioning in his house. But now the weather was nicer, something around 23 celcius. The sun beamed down on him and he squinted as he looked up at it.

He was sitting in an empty patch, a circle without any flowers. His legs were extended out and his elbows were resting against the dirt keeping him up.

He huffed as he moved his hands against the dirt and rested his torso against them. He squinted as he looked around, getting used to the lighting and the color of the flowers against the sun.

Where am I?

Even if it was a dream, he had no clue where we was. It looked like a screensaver, a fake stock photo taken by money-hungry photographers who sold their images onto Bing. But it was all real, and he was there.

The air was filled with pollen and it was all he could smell and all he could hear was a slight gust of wind shaking the trees and a bee buzzing by his ear. The wind felt cool, refreshing against the warm weather. It wasn't hot nor was it cold. It was the perfect temperature.

"Hello?" he tried saying, but he couldn't hear anything. All of his words were muffled and his ears started ringing. He covered his ears in pain, shutting his eyes to help him cope.

He opened his eyes as the ringing silenced itself a bit, although it was still very noticeable and irritable.

And out in the distance, a figure wearing all white had a flower in her hand and was walking through the flower patch, a smile on her face. It looked like a movie scene.. or heaven.

Am I dead?

She walked closer and closer, stopping as soon as she was standing in front of Clay. He looked up at her, admiring the soft features on her face.

She said something, but all the words that came out of her mouth were muffled and he couldn't hear anything.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" he said, only for his ears to start ringing again. He covered his ears in pain as he pushed down to try and make the ache stop faster.

She said something again, but everything was muffled and he couldn't hear what she said again. He didn't dare ask her to repeat herself again, as he was nervous his ears would start aching again.

She got down onto her knees and onto the dirt, dirtying up her dress as she leaned onto her knees, getting closer to Clay.

She grabbed onto his face gently, pushing his head to look the other way as she examined his ears. She said something, but like everything else it was muffled and he couldn't hear it.

She pushed his head so it was facing her again and she smiled, making Clay smile back. She took her hands off of him, setting them in her lap as Clay looked dead into her eyes.

An idea came to mind as he suddenly put his finger into the dirt, writing out a name- his name.

She read the writing and smiled, looking up to Clay.

"I know," she spoke, Clay being able to hear her for the first time. Her voice sounded perfect, like music but she spoke it. His heart raced as his vision spotted again.

Clay jolted awake as his eyes quickly scanned the room. His chest was following his breathing, quickly up and down to show his anxiousness.

He put his hand on his chest and felt his heart pulsing quickly, as if it was begging for air. His head was spinning around in circles and it wouldn't stabilize.