Chapter 1

I remember as a young boy, my family lived in the mountains, where the air was thinner. I guess my father wanted to teach us 'the winter breath', but all that suddenly came to an end once our mom had died. My older sister ran away, only to be found dead and mangled near town. Like an animal tore her apart. It was just my baby sister, my father, and me. Dad left the house frequently and I was the only one who took care of the house and my sister; I cut the wood, prepared the fire, cooked food, cleaned the house, and made sure I made some warm water to give my little sister a bath. She was the first thing on my mind, I had to take care of her. Dad got home late at night, drunk. I tried to help him to his room only to get hit and beat up that night. I knew bones were broken but I ignored it. A knock came at the door later that night, dad went up and opened it. His eyes were wide, he went out there with the stranger. Making some sort of deal, I caught a few words. Spare me and take my children, I don't want them. I knew I had to get out of there, I took my sister and ran out of the house. Making sure I was using total concentrated breathing, the training I did secretly had paid off, getting quicker and quicker by the minute. 

The smell of the snow and air was relaxing, I could hear birds chirping from far away, and I was able to see what's in front of me even though it's pitch black. Dodging trees, jumping over logs, running down the mountain and into the town. I could finally see the light; it was warmer in the town. It was quiet, a little too quiet. Some buildings were torn down, doors ripped to shreds, the smell of blood filled my nose. I gaged as I heard bones crunching, flesh being torn. I looked over to my right to see a man-eating monster tearing up the shopkeepers. I ran away, tears flood my eyes, and fear filled my heart. My baby sister starts crying but I tried to keep her calm as best as I could as I ran. The monster caught up to me but soon a man comes and decapitates it. "Are you alright?" I nod my head slowly, tightening my hold on my sister. "Did you come from the mountain?" "Y-Yes..." The man walks up and kneels, "do you have anywhere to do?" I shook my head, "no I don't sir." He sighs and picks me up, holding my little sister in his other arm. "I'll take you to my home. You will stay there temporarily. What's your name kid?" "Sora Hashima..." He hums, "I'm Shinjuro Rengoku."

That whole situation happened years ago, I'm 16 now. I mastered the technique that was passed down to my family for generations. I'm one of the pillars, although I am kept hidden. My estate is in the mountains, it's near but hard to get to. Most would freeze instantly but I have adapted to the cold. It doesn't affect me. Shinjuro Rengoku, the man who saved me years ago. I haven't seen him in a while, so I decided to pay a visit. "You're a good for nothing son!" I furrowed my eyebrows and opened the door forcefully, "isn't that just a lovely thing to hear from someone I haven't seen in years. You smell like alcohol and it's disgusting. What in the hell happened to you?" His eyes opened widely as he looked at the sight of me, being very intimidated. "You! Why are you here!!" I walked up to him and pick him up by the collar of his shirt, "just a little visit. More like a lecture now though." I could smell the fear radiating off him. "Brother! You're too fast!" I look behind me and see my little sister, Aimi. She looks up and sees me holding Shinjuro, "Sora let go of Mr. Rengoku-Sama!" 

I roll my eyes and drop the man, "you're lucky my sister still respects an old drunk like you." Aimi comes up to Shinjuro and hugs him, "I missed you so much!" I glare at the man, and he hesitantly hugs Aimi back. "Missed you too kiddo." I hear footsteps behind me, turning around to see a little boy, near Aimi's age. "Father what's going on?" The man grunts and stands up, "nothing. Go clean the porch." The boy nods and walks away, "kid what's your name?" The boy looks behind and sees me, "Senjuro..." I hum, "nice to meet you. This is my little sister, Aimi. Aimi say hi." She hides behind me and grabs my leg, "hi there." Another boy, maybe a year younger than me, comes in. He had a sad aura surrounding him, but he was still smiling. I figured he was sad because the old drunk had yelled at him. "Old man, this the kid you were yelling at earlier... For no damn reason." Sweat drips down his forehead, "I had a reason." I bent down and made him look at me, "well what I heard was not a reason at all. How about you treat your children nicely." I could tell he wanted to hit me and knock me down, "don't even try old man." He walks away with more alcohol in his hand, "he's a pathetic father. I missed the old man that was kind and caring, not the old drunk he is now." 

Aimi punches my leg lightly, "I'm sure he has a reason why he's like this." I bent down and pat her head, "if that's what you think then okay." I stood back up, hitting my head lightly on the ceiling, "ow." Aimi giggles, "I'm guessing you want to go home where you can stand without hitting your head." I nodded my head, "I was hoping you could make a friend while we were down here but that's fine." She looks over to Senjuro and blushes, I push her over there. "Quit being shy." She walks over slowly and hesitates to speak, immediately going back to hiding behind me. "Wuss." The older boy comes up to me, "what's your name?" I look down at him, "Sora Hashima. This is my little sister Aimi." She waves shyly and grips onto my clothing. "Anyways, what's your name?" "Kyojuro!" 'He's an optimistic child.' I smile lightly, "well It's time that we head out, come on Aimi." She follows behind me, taking a glance at Senjuro, and smiles. I smirk, knowing that I get to tease her now. "The master wants to meet you, Aimi." She looked scared suddenly, "don't worry. He's a genuinely nice man." She calms down and I lead her towards the master's home. "The flowers here are so pretty, Sora!" "These are wisteria flowers; they protect us from demons." She grabs my hand as we head up to the master's door, "I'm here as requested. I brought my sister for you to meet as well." The door opens up to see the master's wife, "Sora! It's good to see you, come in." I duck my head down and I head towards the master's bedroom. His disease getting worse by the years. "Ah Sora, I'm glad you're here. Who's this little lady?" Once again, she hides behind me. "This is Aimi, my sister, she's really shy." The master smiles, it seemed to comfort Aimi. 

"I might as well get this over with, we need to discuss a demon." He looks at Aimi, not sure if she should be there. "It's okay, she knows all about Muzan and the 12 kizuki." He nods his head and continues, "upper moon one should be near a town, near the north of the mountains. You'll most likely find him hiding there." I bow, "I will do my best." Aimi follows me out the door and all the way home.

We enter the house, and we relax a bit, "I have to leave here soon. If you get lonely you can go and see Senjuro." I turn the fire on and put water into the pot, "do you have to leave so soon? I hate it when you're gone." "I know, but it's part of my job. I protect the people from demons." I cooked her dinner and watched her eat it, "I'll take care of the dishes, let's get you in bed." I pick her up and took her to her room. Laying her down onto the futon, "come home soon Sora." I rubbed her forehead and kissed it, "don't worry I will." I smile and leave the room, grabbing my katana and fixing up my haori. I leave the house and start running down the mountain, and towards the north. My long hair flowing behind me, 'should I cut that or not?'