CHAPTER 6: "NOT YOUR FAULT"

As Devonn sat down on his chair while reading a book about huntsmen and huntresses and the four huntsmen academies in the world of Remnant, he couldn't help but feel amazed and awestruck. As he read the book and saw all the pictures of various huntsmen and huntresses alongside their weapons, a particular figure caught his eye...

It was a woman with black hair and red tips, wearing a white cloak and a black and red combat dress. She had silver eyes, and she held a large white scythe that looked like it could transform into a sniper rifle.

That woman...

Was his adoptive mother, Summer Rose.

'M-Mom?'

As Devonn realized this, tears began to fall down his face and his hands began to shiver as he held the book. All the memories began to come rushing back in his head one by one. From the time she adopted him, to the time he witnessed her death at the hands of the Grimm...

Her last words rang and echoed loudly in his head...

"Run, Devonn... R-Run..."

The image of his mother being maimed and mauled by the hordes of Grimm continued to flash in Devonn's mind...

Her screams...

Her blood being spilled all over...

"Run, Devonn... R-Run..."

Those words continued to echo in his head over and over again on repeat as the memory of his mother being massacred went on loop as well.

"Run, Devonn... R-Run..."

All of these things overwhelmed Devonn, causing him to fall down on his knees as he clutched the sides of his head and let the book fall down to the floor.

The last words of his deceased mother echoed non-stop in Devonn's brain, causing him to groan and scream in agony.

Selena heard this, and immediately rushed to the living room from the kitchen in a panicking manner.

Her heart raced like a stallion as she saw and heard Devonn screaming and groaning in pain as he clutched his head with both hands.

"Devonn! Devonn, what's wrong?!" Selena exclaimed as she rushed to Devonn and embraced him.

"It's not my fault! It's not my fault! It's not my fault!" Devonn continued to shout out as he shed his tears excessively, while groaning and screaming in agony. "It's not my fault! It's not my fault!"

"Devonn! Devonn, it's okay... It's okay... There's no need to be scared... I'm here..." Selena said as Devonn slowly snapped back into reality and began to look at Selena with his tear-filled crimson eyes.

"I-It's not... My fault... Right?" Devonn asked. "I didn't kill her... Did I?"

"Devonn... What happened to your mother wasn't your fault..." Selena said as she wrapped Devonn into a tight embrace. "None of it is your fault..."

Selena then brushed some of Devonn's black hair away from his face with her hand.

"But... It was me who wandered too far into the woods... It was me who--."

"Devonn! Please... Don't blame yourself for your mother's death... Don't prove your father's point. You're better than this, Devonn," Selena said, cutting Devonn off. "Your mother saved you because she loved you. She cared about you more than herself, which is why she gave up her life so you could live. Blaming yourself for what happened to her would be like throwing it all away."

Selena then looked into Devonn's eyes.

"You don't want to do that... Do you?" Selena asked as she cupped Devonn's cheek.

Devonn merely shook his head as a reply.

"Remember this, Devonn... Your mother's death was NOT your fault, okay?" Selena asked.

"Y-Yeah..." Devonn replied.

"Remember that, Devonn..." Selena said as she embraced Devonn.

"T-Thank you..." Devonn said as he hugged Selena.

"Everything will be alright, Devonn... Everything will be alright..." Selena said as she hugged and comforted Devonn. "Everything will be okay..."