CHAPTER 9: WHAT I'M CAPABLE OF (PART 1)

As Devonn began to awaken from his unconscious state, his head felt like it had been smacked with a brick due to the immense pain. When he opened his eyes, he saw Selena sitting next to his bed.

"Thank Oum you're awake!" Selena exclaimed as she hugged Devonn. "Are you okay?"

"Sort of... Thanks, mom..." Devonn said in between groans of pain. "Um, mom?"

"Yes, Devonn?" Selena asked.

"What happened... Back there at the forest?"

"Are you sure you want to know?" Selena asked Devonn. "It would be a bit too hard for someone your age to understand what just happened there."

"I'm sure I can take it," Devonn replied with certainty.

"Well, you see... When we got attacked, you somehow unlocked your semblance."

"My... Semblance?" Devonn asked. "You mean, my ACTUAL.... REAL SEMBLANCE?"

"Yes. The manifestation of your soul," Selena replied.

However, Devonn's joy was short-lived when he remembered what had just happened... How he transformed into a monstrous beast and attacked their aggressors... How his vision glowed red with rage and his growls and howls sounded throughout the forest... How his victims screamed as he dragged their bodies around like ragdolls...

It caused Devonn's fear to escalate to the point where he was unable to react.

"Devonn...?" Selena asked while trying to get Devonn's attention.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Am I... A monster?" Devonn asked as tears began to build up in his eyes.

Selena then pulled him into a tight embrace while caressing his back.

"What makes you think that, son?"

"Mom... I just turned into a grimm... I've read about semblances before, and this... This one isn't something you'd exactly call "normal." What if people get scared? What if... What if people think--."

"I DON'T CARE what people think," Selena boldly said.

"But mom--."

"I won't hear anymore of it, Devonn. All semblances are special in their own way," Selena said as she cupped Devonn's cheek.

"But--."

"You were born with a gift, Devonn. It might not be what you expected it to be, but it is a gift nonetheless. It might look like a curse, but it's only a curse if you look at it that way," Selena said as she comforted her son.

"You... Really think so?" Devonn said amidst the tears.

"I know so. Would you like to see mine?" Selena asked with a smile.

Devonn simply nodded.

Selena then grabbed a piece of paper and held it in her hand. As she gripped it tight, it began to fade away into ashes.

Devonn was at a loss for words at his mother's semblance.

"Your semblance... You can..."

"Turn objects into ash? Yes," Selena replied.

"W-Wow... That's awesome!" Devonn remarked. "Can you turn anything into ash?"

"Yes, but it all depends on how much aura I possess. The more soul energy my aura possesses, the more powerful my semblance is," Selena replied. "You see? There's no such thing as a cursed semblance. It's all a matter of how we make of it."

"Really?" Devonn asked as tears began to form in his eyes.

"Yes, my son. What you perceive as a curse is actually just a gift in a different form. What matters is how you use it," Selena replied as she wrapped Devonn in a warm embrace.

Devonn was completely speechless. He could barely even think of the words he would like to say as he just allowed himself to give in to his mother's sweet embrace and unleashed all his tears with a heavy heart.

Selena simply tightened her embrace around her little boy as she brushed her hands through Devonn's black hair. As the young boy unleashed all his tears, she began to hum a sweet lullaby to him to comfort him.

Little by little, Devonn's cries began to grow silent as he gave in to the immaculate embrace of sleep. After a while, Devonn finally slept in her arms.

As Selena laid her boy to rest on his bed, she laid a kiss on his forehead and wrapped him in his blanket. She then sat down on the chair by his bedside and watched as her son slept.

Suddenly, he began to wriggle and shake in his bed which made Selena quickly react. She embraced Devonn and began to sing the lullaby she hummed to him earlier.

"Hush your cries, close your eyes. Stay with me..."

Devonn slowly but surely began to calm down.

"Let's just dream quietly of what might be... Calm your fear, I'll be near. To you, I'll cling..."

Selena then brushed her hand through Devonn's black hair while avoiding his black bull faunus horns.

"Rest, my friend. Time can mend many things... I don't know the answers; tomorrow's still unknown. But I can make you this promise: you won't be alone..."

"I don't know where we should go; just feeling farther from our goal. I don't know what path we will be shown, but I know that when I'm with you I'm at home. Yes, I know that when I'm with you, I'm at home..."

Eventually, Devonn's body fully calmed down and he was finally able to go back to sleep (hopefully with his nightmares at bay for now)...

"Rest well, my little boy..." Selena whispered as she too began to sleep by Devonn's side.