Chapter 1.

I wheeled myself over to the window and look out over the city. Cars zoomed by dangerously fast, darting in and out of traffic. I made a game of watching them. If I could watch one car get from one side of the street to the other, I would smile softly. I spent hours in this spot, playing my game.

The other, younger children played tag behind me running around and squealing. Like they didn't have a care in the world. This bothered me. Didn't they know the likelihood was very slim for them to leave this hospital alive? Didn't they know that they were right on the Grim Reapers doorstep? Obviously not.

Red car. Silver car. Grey.

I continued to watch and listen as the world went on around me. I certain spesific squeal came for the 5 year Molly and 10 year old Benjamin caught her.

"Well hello there Miss Evangeline," the most nasily, annoying voice demanded my attention. Mrs. Baker. She was suppose to be our 'friend' and 'mentor' but those of us who were smart she was the honorary bitch sent to make sure we didn't kill ourselves. Fricken counselors. That would look bad on nursing staff.  

"How are you feeling today? Has your day been swell?" I just stared at her. Even if I wanted to answer (which I don't), I couldn't answer her with that question. Was my day swell? Yes, ma'm I made a ginger bread house and did a tap dance.  

I didn't answer but turned my attention back to the window. She made a snorting noise resembling a seal almost, then got up and walked away. Good. Back to my game.

Black jeep. Navy truck. Three taxis. I chuckled to myself silently.

I was allergic to ginger.

And I couldn't walk.

******************

Picture is Evangeline Grace