"You've Got Two Seconds To Explain."

“You Got Two Seconds To Explain.”

       By the time I was finished, I felt in desperate need of an aspirin or BC. I also felt like some weak, vulnerable punk, so when I finished crying I was drowned with a whole new emotion: embarrassment.

       I sniffled a final time and then stared at my lap before I could bring myself to face him. “Sorry for jacking up your shirt, you know, with all the tears and snot and stuff.”

       He didn’t say anything for a moment, and he just stared at me, and I wished dearly that I could know what was going on within his head. I stared back, and I couldn’t help but be mesmerized by his odd eye color. There was a short, slightly awkward moment of staring and silence, before he busted out laughing and looked away.

       “Don’t worry ‘bout it. When my sis died, all I did was cry. I get it,” He looked at me and winked, “S’all good.”

       “Okay, good. I feel a lil’ better now.”

       “Good.”

       Once more there was another silence, but this was much shorter than the first and not nearly as uncomfortable and tense. “But don’t go tellin’ all your new buddies or nothin’. If you do, I promise I’ll flying unicorn kick you in the face.”

       I could see him suppressing a grin, and I’ll admit he did a commendable job of it, with the only sign being the uplifted corners of his lips and the mischievous glint in his eyes. “I wouldn’t think of it.”

       “You think I’m playing with you but when my foot meets your face you’re gonna think again,” I only half-joked, trying to keep back a smile of my own. Now he was holding his hands up in surrender. “Yes ma’am, heard you loud and clear.”

       I swatted him playfully, and tried to put on a more serious face. “Nice having you over, now get out,” I said standing up. “And be sure to read that book,” I reminded him.

       “So that’s how it is, huh?” He raised a brow teasingly.

       “Yup, my dad will be home in a bit, and he’s not overly fond of Caleb, who I’ve practically known before I could walk. No offense, but I’m sure he’d be none too happy to see you here without knowing of it first.”

       His whole demeanor changed instantly. “Ya know what, that’s probably a good idea. My dad was the same with Val,” He muttered something I couldn’t hear, or understand, since it was in Spanish.

       I didn’t reply, or even ask what that meant. Instead I just stood up and headed down the stairs, and Uri followed behind. “Thanks for the book, even though I saw the movie,” he added unnecessarily. I rolled my eyes and I closed the door behind him. “Goodbye, Uriah.”

       “See ya tomorrow!” He called over his shoulder just before the door closed.

       Several things happened soon after. Logan woke up, my dad arrived not even a full thirty seconds after Uriah had left the house, and I realized this was the first time Uriah had ever referred to his sister with a name.

       Val.

.     .     .     .  

       The week had dragged by slowly, and it was probably one of the longest 4 days of my life. The days got muddled into one big mush of a blurred memory. Until Friday. Everyone loves Fridays, and I must agree, they are magical, but this was not one of them.

       Running from the police wasn’t on my to-do list, and it was the last thing I was expecting.

       But stuff happens.