That Saying Was Just So Empty

That  Saying Was Just So Empty

        As Uriah stood up, I saw he was a tad bit taller than me. He had barely gotten to his feet before Caleb began asking one hundred and one questions.

       “How old are ya?

        “Eleven, but I’ll be twelve in a month."

       “Where you from?”

        “San Francisco.” That was halfway across the country. From what I understand, it’s supposed to be a nice, if somewhat expensive city. What made them want to move here?

        For a moment, it was silent as we walked. Neither of us wanted to pester why he moved here, but I knew we were both thinking it. Somewhere along the lines, we just agreed to hang around and get to know this new kid. I focused at the ground and saw Artemis making attempts to get Logan’s attention, and every time she brushed them off.

        Uriah must’ve figured we still had questions because he elaborated on the story. “My aunt ain’t doing all too well, she’s a little sick. ‘Course there are closer family members around, but my mom and her are real close. Even then, she had to beg and plead for my aunt to let her take care of her since she didn’t want to be an inconvenience to us. So we’re here now.” He managed a smile at the end.

        “You don’t seem overly enthusiastic about that.” I pointed out. Now looking back on it, it was rude and uncalled for. Caleb had even jabbed me in the side to make sure I understood that.

        “I love my aunt no doubt, but I dunno… this place looks a little rough. I guess I’m not used to that. No offense.” Uneasiness and embarrassment had seeped into his voice, and it was present in his smile. Caleb laughed and I just shook my head slightly amused.

         “None taken, City Boy. I’d probably be all uncomfortable if I’d been put in a place where I didn’t have to worry about nun.” Caleb joked. “Born and raised in this mess.”

        “Huh, I’d  be too happy to be out of here.” I paused and wistfully added, “Maybe, I’d still have Andy then.” I didn’t mind talking about Andrew. Actually, now that he was no longer with us, I did it often.

        “What?” Uriah asked.

        “Andrew was my brother; he died because of a hit and run earlier this year in June.”

        “Oh. I would say sorry for your loss but that probably wouldn’t help. It’s one of those things everyone says but doesn’t change anything.” He shrugged. “My sister died in a car accident not that long ago, and that saying was just so empty.”

        “Uriah, I was startin’ to think you was a cool chill dude, but now you beginning to depress me out. Somebody,” Caleb shot a glance at me, “already has that job.”

        This earned a short burst of laughter from Uriah, who then turned to tell us he had to go and he’d see us around, and it was nice meeting the both of us. He then took off, with the black and white furball that was his dog right at his heels.

        “So what you think of him?” Caleb turned and faced me with a large grin plastered across his face.

        “Huh?”

        “You actually smiled today. Do you like?” He wriggled his eyebrows and still had that aggravating teasing smile. I scowled and slugged him in the shoulder. “Shut up, Cay.”

        “Aw, look at my little girl growing up. It’s so cute.”

         I sighed knowing Caleb would convince himself of whatever he wanted to believe.” I’m older than you. And I just met the kid, so, just no.”

        He poked my arm, “Lighten up, man. You know I’m just playin’.”

        “I know. But you play too much, go sit yourself down somewhere,” I chastised him.

        “Fine, I’ll go home. But I need you to come with me.” He looked at me seriously. “You know how the teachers gave us those assignment we had to complete because we’ll be turning them in on the first day?”

        “I am not about to help you with that stuff! It took me a while to get it done myself.”

        “Please?” he begged. “It’s only the math I need help with.” I stared at him expressionless, and weighed it out in my head. “Fine.”

        A look of consolation spread on his face. “Thanks, man.” He gratefully hugged me, and when he stepped back I punched him again, but this time it was much lighter. “Whatever. Let me take Logan back home and I’ll head over. You owe me.”

        He rubbed his arm where I had hit him, “Yeah, yeah, okay. And cut the hitting will ya?” I was already walking away, Lo trotting next to me when he said this. “Watch your mouth, will ya?” I called back.

Note: Caleb was a straight lie when he said ‘only math’. I ended up having to help him with math and some of the science. Then, he asked me to check over all the work from all the classes. Very funny.

---------

So first off I’d like to say thanks for all the reads so far. They are a real encouragement. :) Also, don’t forget to follow, vote, and comment! Feedback would be great as to what you think so far. Thanks! – Victoria Brown, Author