Chapter I: An Evening Outing

"Blaire!! Have you seen my ring?"

Blaire was startled by the sudden scream of her younger sister, Lilith. So frightened that she nearly poked her eye with her horse-hair eyeshadow brush. She was doing her makeup in front of her vanity to get ready to join her parents for an evening out, and she was in too much of a rush to deal with pesky mistakes.

"Yes, Lilith! Second drawer of my vanity. Come get it." Blare said, utterly annoyed.

Lilith's heavy steps grew closer to her bedroom, she was clearly frustrated.

"Why on earth did you have it? Take it without my permission again?" she snapped.

"Cool it, Lily. I found it on the bathroom sink. You must've forgotten to put it back on before leaving. Quick to accuse I see?"

"Wouldn't be the first time you took something without asking," Lily replied.

"I only took it the first time without asking because I was in a rush, Lily, and you were out in the courtyard. I didn't have time to go ask if I could borrow it. I knew I would return it, and did not think you would trust me so little with your things."

"Lower your voice! Geez. Why are you so harsh to me? Is it because I'm adopted and we are not biological sisters? You are only like this to me." said Lily, her voice was cracking as water started to fill her eyes.

"That is far from the truth, Lily. Family doesn't always mean blood. You mean everything to me, blood or not. If mom and dad hadn't found you, I wouldn't have an awesome younger sibling. Is everything alright?" Blaire replied calmly.

"Yes, I am fine. Just... wonder why my parents didn't want me. If they didn't want me, why would you and mom and dad?" Lilith said choking back tears.

"We don't know why they did not keep you, Lily. They could have not had the funds and knew someone would find you to give you a better life. You're a great sister. If they left you behind simply because they didn't want you, they are missing out. I promise you are nothing other than a blessing to us all."

Lily couldn't hide her emotions any longer. A tear dropped from the inner corner of her eye onto her cheek. She quickly tried to rub it off and make it look like she was just scratching her face, but Blaire still noticed. Blaire got up from her vanity chair and embraced her, hugging her so tight that Lily nearly couldn't breathe, but she didn't mind it. It was rare the sisters had a moment like this, so to enjoy it while it lasted was important. 

"Girls! Lovely daughters, are you ready?" yelled Father Mallory from downstairs.

"Coming dad!" shouted Lilith. She parted from the hug about to grab her bag from her room.

"Hurry, ladies! An anniversary only happens once a year. We don't have much daylight to spare!" Mother Mallory added.

Blaire interrupted before Lilith left the doorway. "I love you, Lily. Just thought I would remind you."

"I know, Blaire. I just tend to get insecure and forget sometimes. I'm sorry."

Lilith left the room to grab her bag, and Blaire did some finishing touches to her makeup. She picked a couple of crystals from her collection and held them in her hands for a good spiritual cleansing, then visualized putting up shields around her to protect her and prevent negative energies or people from affecting her during her time with family. Practicing witchcraft was for the most part banned in Runswick, but there were exceptions for rich families with power, such as the Mallory's. You would likely have your hand chopped off if caught practicing as a noble unless you were a well-trusted herbalist and only used magic in your recipes, otherwise, the consequences could be as bad as public execution.

Blaire hopped downstairs and greeted her family with a wide red-lipstick smile. 

"Hello, Dad! Mom, Lilith, Dixie, good evening!" Blaire said to each family member cheerfully. "Does Dixie need to be fed?"

"I already fed her," said Lilith, "She inhaled the bowl in what seemed to be not even a minute!"

"Oh yeah, she's such a great dog isn't she," Blaire said as she went to scratch the dog's ears.

The girls stepped aside for a moment, then got their parents' attention. "Happy anniversary Mom and Dad!!" exclaimed the two daughters. They threw some flower petals into the air for their parents. They weren't completely in sync, but it didn't take away the element of surprise. The cherry blossom petals were tossed into the air and slowly made their way to the ground like a leaf in the fall. Of course, they had to clean it up, which luckily wasn't much of a problem. They didn't seem to mind. They did a little something for their parents' anniversary every year, even if it was something as small as throwing some petals into the air and saying "Happy anniversary." It always made them chuckle to see the girls still doing silly things for their anniversary and birthdays since they were little. They headed out the door with their dog on a lead and made their way to the park for a small picnic. 

Authors note: Hello again! This chapter is somewhat short because I wanted to leave some room for criticism and ideas. Give some advice or things I could change, or even give me ideas as to how everything should play out at the park, or how the rest of the plot can turn out. A nice family gathering with little to no interruptions? Slightly chaotic? An attack? Help me out! Have a wonderful day!