ii. unexplained dreams

JANGMI

"Miss Kim, we truly need your involvement in this project. Can you really not reconsider?"

I sharply eyed the line of businessmen who had been attempting to sway my decisions for what felt like an eternity. And with an air of calculation, my blunt response pierced through the air.

"Depends."

"Depends on what, Miss Kim?" One of them pressed with a hint of exasperation.

A brief silence descended upon the air. Then came my nonchalant retort, a sly grin curving my lips upward. "On my mood."

Collective sighs of frustration wafted the room, but despite their obvious desire to vent their frustration and raise their voices, of course, they knew better than to provoke me.

"Madame President." Another ventured, seeking to appeal to my decision. "Your support could make an extraordinary difference to Glory Trades Incorporation and simultaneously benefit your own company as well. If you'd just consider..."

This was the point where I was slowly starting to get irritated, and when I raised a hand, he instantly went silent as palpable tension filled the room. "I can offer my consultancy to aid this project," I declared icily.

If agreeing to this can silence them, then so be it.

As my words were registered, a wave of ecstasy and excitement washed over the meeting room. But before anyone could speak, I raised another single finger, commanding silence.

"But just to let you all know, I don't settle for less."

"Of course, Madame! We'll pay you handsomely!"

"And I will not be a full-time consultant. Though the Vice President of my company can run the firm when I am not around, I am still a busy woman." My voice rang throughout the room; it resonated with power and perseverance. Many people go through heaven and hell to be able to have me work for them, so to everyone right now—this was a lottery prize.

"Of course, that's understandable." The same man who was persuading me earlier smiled ear to ear.

"You, everyone else here, or anybody else is not my boss. I take orders from no one, is that clear?"

"Yes! Of course!"

"We can sign a trial contract and we can renew it when the time comes."

"As you wish, Madame,"

"The time I am about to give is precious, so my pay will be $250,000," I asserted, my voice carrying an undertone of firmness and mischief.

"For three months?" Another man interjected, face disbelieved.

"No," I replied with a cunning grin, and I shook my head, allowing my long diamond-cut earrings to sway gently. "That is my pay per 20 hours. That's $12,500 an hour. $250,000 per 20 hours. In short, 3 million will be my wage."

Oh I mean it when I say I don't settle for less.

A momentary stillness descended upon the room as the businessmen exchanged cautious glances, silently deliberating amongst themselves. Their faces increasingly became disbelieved, but I met their incredulous stares with a smirk, my gaze head-on.

Eventually, none of them were willing to lose me in the end.

So they gave in.

"We can draw up a contract in no time and sign it. Whatever else you want, just speak up, Miss Kim. We will all agree to it!"

As the meeting drew to a close, the businessmen finalised our agreement. It was clear to me that many found amusement in seeing a twenty-two-year-old woman being pestered by thirty-year-old men and stripping off their dignity in the process, just for the sake that they could benefit from me.