Chapter 8

Where am I even going?

I was at the outskirts of town, otherwise known as Vazero. The name of the whole town is Vaxsonia, and officially this place is also called Vaxsonia, but everyone called it Vazero. The poor and the criminals lived here. Our government (a small elected council) didn't care about the people in Vazero as long as they didn't bother the rest of the town. You could even kill someone in Vazero and you wouldn't be punished.

I guess being here is bad. But I don't care.

I was in an alley, finally too tired to move. My eyes were closing when I heard footsteps and shadows were cast over me. I looked up.

There was one guy and he looked extremely familiar. I knew him but I couldn't remember.

"What, forgot me already, Lilly?"

That voice! "Lance." I said, knowing it was him. Like mine, Lance's parents had died. After that, he dropped out of school and moved here. Not having any living family left and his so-called friends shunned him for being "different" (an orphan), he decided moving here was easier. Unlike me, he had no siblings to take care of and no friends to be there for him.

My heart twisted. I could've been there for him. I vaguely remember him asking me to come with him. I had refused 'cause I had responsibilites. Like Luke and Harmony.

He looked at me, endless sorrow in his eyes. He had dark hair and dark eyes, so dark you couldn't see the pupils.

"You remember me?"

"Yeah." I stared at the ground, not making eye contact. I had refused 'cause I had Luke and Harmony to take care of and Scarlet had been a good friend, enough to make me wanna stay. But mostly I stayed because I had to.

"Why are you here?" he asked, crouching down in front of me. "Finally gonna join me?"

"No." I said quietly. I almost said yes. I wanted to.

His hand came up and gently caressed my cheek. "You want to. I can tell. Is life over there too much for you? Over here, there are no rules. You could escape. You could be free."

"I can't be free. Not here. Not anywhere." I told him. "Leave me alone."

"You know I can't do that, Lilly." he said as I stood up way too fast. Dizzy, I fell forward. He caught me. "So why are you here?"

Honestly, I didn't know. I just came here randomly. I pulled away from him. I felt like I couldn't be where I was. But here isn't good either.

"Come back." I said, surprising myself. Where did that come from?

He smirked, triumphant. "Maybe."

"Is Vazero really better than Vaxsonia?" I asked. "Is Vaxsonia that horrible?"

"Not really." he answered. "I like it here better, though. No rules to follow."

"Forget I said anything." I sighed. "I'm leaving."

I started to walk away, but he caught up to me. "I'll walk with you." I let him, not wanting to be alone in this place anymore.

We eventually made it out of the Vazero area and we were in the calm, quiet, and peaceful streets of Vaxsonia.

"This brings back memories." said Lance, his voice filled with nostalgia. "I kinda missed this place."

"Enough to stay?"

He smirked again. "Missed me?"

"In your dreams."

As we turned a corner to get to my house, I noticed Alec waiting at my door. His eyes widened then narrowed at the sight of Lance.

"I see he still stalks you." commented Lance. I didn't say anything.

When we got to the door, Alec grabbed me and pulled me away from Lance. Ooh, someone's jealous.

But then Lance suddenly pushed past him and kissed me.