29

I woke up in a room made of stone and bricks instead of traditional wood. My hands were tied behind my back and I was sitting on a hard wooden bench that was up against the wall. Other than that, the only other furniture was the steel door.

I was throbbing with pain all over. After all, I hadn't gotten a whole lot of rest since Blaze broke my bones when we had arrived at Ryder's house. I sat there, staring at the ground trying to ignore the pain.

That's when the door opened. Drake walked in along with that thing that attacked me. Getting a closer look, "that thing" is actually human. Just a rather giant human with a scary face.

"It seems Lance got away." Drake said. "Do you know where he went?"

In other words "tell me or I'll kill you". I had told him to go north from the river. If he's still not waiting there, then he's probably going to Cecil's town which is most likely where I am now. Of course, I didn't say anything to Drake.

Drake nodded at the giant. He moved toward me. "My name is Assassin and it's a good match with what I am."

"Yeah, because I'm so scared." I yawned, looking up at him lazily. He looked back at Drake. He just waved him off like he was saying do-what-you-want.

Assassin immediately turned back to me, a grin spreading across his face. "Stand up."

I stayed where I was. "Stand up."

Suddenly, he grabbed me by my shirt collar and pushed me up to the wall. "You heard me." he snarled. "I said stand up."

He let go of me and I dropped to the floor on my hands and knees. I stood slowly, my hair casting shadows over my face. I tried to seem menacing and dangerous but I don't think it worked.

He punched me in the face, then my stomach. He kicked my side and I was sent flying. I landed near Drake's feet. "You're making things more difficult than they have to be. Just tell me and you won't get hurt anymore."

"Never." Assassin came over and pulled me to my feet. Keeping my arm in his grip, he punched me again and again until I couldn't feel anything. Still, I said nothing.

"I want you to scream!" he shouted at me. "Scream in pain. Suffer!" He grabbed my hair and pulled until I was sure it would rip off my head. Then he shoved my head to the floor so fast, if my face collided, I knew every bone in my skull would have shattered. But he stopped, my nose inches from the floor.

Then the door opened and Cecil walked in. And behind her was Alec, hands tied behind his back. A look of horror crossed Alec's face when he saw me. "What are you doing here?"

"I got captured." was all I could say before Assassin let go of me and I suddenly fell to the floor. He kicked my side hard and he actually grunted from the effort. Coughing, I rolled over on to my back. A whoosh of air and Assassin's fist was heading my way. I rolled out of the way as his fist made a crater in the ground. How strong was this guy?

I got to my feet only to have his fist ram into my stomach, then the sheer force pushed me to the wall. Air left my lungs as fast as a bullet. I slumped to the floor, barely able to breathe.

"What, is that all? For an assassin, you sure aren't assassinating me." I taunted, glaring up at Assassin. "You're all talk. You say you're an assassin but I'm not dead yet. I'm not even hurt because you're so weak. I'm not scared at all."

"Keep telling yourself that. If I had it my way, you'd be dead already."

"If that's what you want, then kill me. You'll never know where Lance went and who knows who he'll talk to about Drake and his plan to kill everyone. And it'll be all your fault."

"Assassin." Drake warned him. "Don't go overboard."

"Screw you and your orders. If you want something done, go do it yourself. I'm not your personal slave." Assassin grabbed my arm and crouched down in front of me so he could look into my eyes.

"Listen, I'm not scared of killing you. I'd kill you right now too. But you need to know that I wouldn't hesitate to kill someone."

He then turned to Alec. "Wait!" I rammed my head into his back, trying to stop him. He didn't even react. I moved in front of him. "I said to wait."

"Why should I?"

"You don't have a reason to kill him. He didn't do anything."

"He didn't do anything?" He shoved his arm in front of my face. There was a nasty bruise on it.

"When he woke up, he did this to me. You call that nothing?"

"Nothing to kill him for. Stay back or I'll kill you, even with both hands tied behind my back." My voice sounded dangerous, which was good. Behind me, I tried to untie the ropes.

"Really? I thought you wouldn't want to kill anymore since you already have blood on your hands."

I didn't say anything, instead I glanced around. If I could free my hands, I might be able to beat up Assassin and Drake. With Drake half dead, Cecil would probably run to help her family. Then Alec and I could escape.

Of course, the rope was unforgiving. I couldn't untie it. Then Assassin swung his fist at me. I easily dodged, just leaning back a bit. He expected this and thrust his elbow at me. Eyes wide, I ducked and sent a roundhouse kick to his side. Damn, was he made of rock?

He smirked and grabbed my foot. He started to twist, and my leg bones were sure to get dislocated but I pulled my foot out of my shoe. He was now holding my shoe.

Growling, he shoved me and I stumbled backward. As I did, I kicked my other shoe off, sending it flying. It hit Assassin right on the head.

He grabbed the back of my head and shoved me to the wall, his huge wall of a body squeezing the air from my lungs. I saw Alec, kneeling on the ground with his head bowed. And he was shaking.

"I can't do anything." he mumbled, glancing up at me, then looking down again. "I can't even help you. You're always saving me." Assassin wasn't paying attention so he didn't hear.

I tried to breathe but I couldn't. I gasped, using a last burst of strength to push him off. I could barely stay awake but I stumbled to stand in front of Alec.

I shoved my tied up hands in front of him. He seemed to get the idea. He pressed his face forward. It looked like he was kissing my hands but he was actually biting the rope. And all the while, it looked like I was protecting him from Assassin.

I wouldn't let him kill Alec.

I won't let him kill anyone.