30

My hands were free. Keeping them behind my back so no one would know, I glanced back at Alec. He was still shaking. I had to keep him safe.

Assassin started to walk toward us. His fist came crashing into my face and I staggered back a step, struggling to make sure my hands stayed hidden. He hit me several times, all at my ribs which were already broken. At least all the layers of bandages were thick. He placed his hand under my chin, angling my face up so he could see my eyes.

"What's wrong? Why aren't you screaming in pain? Why?"

I said nothing as he continued to hit me, blow after blow. I counted them in my head. One, two, three, four, five. He slammed me to the ground, his foot digging into my throat until I could barely breathe. Six and seven. My hands were still behind my back. I was determined to use this to my advantage.

"Hold on, Assassin." Drake walked toward us, Cecil following quietly. "Will you tell me now? Where is Lance?"

"Never." I spat. I kicked at Assassin's legs and he fell as I got up and quickly held him down by sitting on him. Not yet. I won't use my hands yet.

"Don't be like that. I won't hesitate to kill everyone you love. Cooperate, or else."

Drake picked me up and just threw me. I collided with the wooden bench and it broke beneath me. Eight, nine. How much more could I take? All these hits were taking their toll. I could barely keep my eyes open anymore. I searched the room for a weapon of any kind. Anything would do.

I lowered myself as if I was sitting, secretly picking up a piece of wood. Drake walked up to me and shoved his knee in my stomach. Ten. This was it, ten was plenty good enough. I stood, leaning on the wall. I just had to last long enough. Until they got tired of this. And when they let their guard down, attack. I was so focused, I didn't see Assassin grab Alec. I only noticed when he was screaming in pain. My head snapped toward him as I saw him go limp, cradling a broken arm.

How could I be so blind? I ran toward Drake, headbutting him. He stepped back from the hit, then I sent kick after kick. When I was pretty sure he was numb from the pain and couldn't do anything, I attacked with the splintered wood, aimed straight for the heart.

Blood splattered to the floor. But it wasn't Drake's blood. It was Cecil's.

"What are you doing?" I exclaimed, horrified.

"If I let him die.... He'll kill my family...."

For a second, I was speechless. Then: "What's the point of them surviving if you die? He'll kill them anyway once you're gone. He only kept them alive so you would do whatever he wants!" I practically screamed at her, trying not to look at the wood I had stabbed her with. Since she and Drake were different heights, I missed the heart. But she would probably die from blood loss once I pulled it out.

I saw a look of horror and understanding dawn on her face.

"Poor, poor, poor Cecil." Drake said, shaking his head in fake sympathy. "I already killed your parents long ago. I just told you they were still alive so you would still obey me. And Lilly. It seems your parents and brother weren't enough, huh? You had to kill your friend too. The blood on your hands won't ever wash away, my dear."

"Says the person who killed thousands just for the fun of it! Every time the monsters attacked, every time people died, it was by your hands! Yeah, I didn't help my parents. Yeah, I killed my own brother. But indirectly, you killed millions more than I ever will in a hundred lifetimes! The blood is all on your hands not mine! And you used Cecil like a puppet until the very end. She kept running after the hope that her family will survive. You lying monster!"

He laughed. He just laughed right in my face. I was shaking with anger. "Honey, that's the best compliment I've ever gotten!"

Cecil was crying really bad, shaking uncontrollably. "I'm sorry, Lilly. For betraying you. For lying to you. Before I die, let me help you...."

She reached out and healed all my injuries. My broken ribs, and the various cuts and bruises I had just received. Staggering with pain, she walked over to Alec and healed his broken arm. Then she pulled out the wooden spike. She collapsed in a pool of her own blood. And died with a smile on her face.

Glad that in the end, she had made up for all the lies.

Glad that in the end, she could meet up with her friends and family again.