Epilogue

"You ready?" Merlin asks me. 

I shake my head. "No."

He chuckles. "They'll be more than happy to see you, love. I promise."

"You don't know that," I argue, spiralling quickly. "They might hate me for coming back. For disappearing. For not coming home as soon as I escaped." My heart is beating a mile a minute, my hands are shaking and anxiety surges through me. 

He takes my hands and pulls me into a hug. "They've missed you," he whispers into my hair. "They'll be more than happy to have you back. I was."

I take a deep breath. He's right. He was happy. Maybe they will be too. 

"Ready?" He asks again. I nod. "Okay."

He leads me through my kingdom, my home. As we walk by people recognize Merlin but their eyes widen at the sight of me. I can see them whispering. My name is heard throughout the hushed voices. I walk closer to Merlin seeking comfort. He chuckles, squeezing my hand, letting me know he's right there. He always will be. 

By the time we reach the palace, there is a crowd behind us. Almost the whole kingdom has followed us here. 

The guards stare wide-eyed at the crowd. When their gazes fall on me they freeze. One suddenly snaps from his paralyzed state and sprints inside. 

Merlin walks me up the stairs. I'm trembling. I've faced magic, monsters, torture, I've even died. But I've never been more scared than right now. 

Not a minute after the guard disappeared, the doors open. In the entryway stands my parents. Their eyes meet mine, freezing in place. A single tear runs down my cheek as Merlin gently pushes me forward to them.

I gulp. "Hi, Mom... Hi, Dad..."

They both blink once before sprinting to me. "Y/n!" I'm crushed by their arms and the waterworks flow. Behind us, the crowd erupts into applause and cheers of celebration. 

"Oh, darling. Where have you been? What happened? How did you get back?" My mother starts asking questions. Her eyes find my neck. "What the fuck happened to your neck?!"

I laugh a little. "It's a long story," I say through tears.

"I want to hear everything," my father speaks. "Do not leave a single detail out."

"Of course, Dad," I say. I twiddle my thumbs a bit nervously. "Though, you may be a little uh... disturbed by it."

"What do you mean?" My mother asks. 

Instinctively, I look to Merlin, begging him with my eyes for help. He smiles softly and joins my side. "I'm here, love," he assures me. "I'm here."

Before my parents can question him, I speak first. "Can I meet Genevieve?" 

Their eyes widen. "You know about Genevieve?" My mother asks. 

I nod. "I'll explain later. But can I meet her?"

"Of course, sweetheart," my father says, ushering me inside. "We should get you a change of clothes too. 

I look down at my pants and shirt. The nicest ones I own. I assume my father means I should change into a dress but I do not want that. "That's okay, Dad," I tell him. "I'm comfortable like this." He gives me a questioning look. I smile. "All will be explained soon," I say. "I just really wanna meet my baby sister first."

My mother smiles. "Yes, darling. She's in the nursery."

They lead me up to the room and gently push open the doors. Inside there is a three-year-old girl playing around with the maids. The maids look up and gasp when they see me. I guess I'll have to get used to that reaction for a while.

Genevieve turns as well, smiling brightly at the sight of my parents. "Mama! Dada!" Her voice is tiny and adorable. I want to melt. She waddles over to us and my mom picks her up. 

"Genny, my darling," she coos. "I want you to meet someone." She turns to me, Genevieve's eyes following. "Meet your older sister, Y/n."

"Y/n," Genevieve repeats poorly, pronouncing it wrong.

I laugh at her attempt. "Yeah, Genevieve. That's me." She holds her arms out to me making my eyes go wide. 

My mother moves her closer and despite my protests, places the toddler in my arms. "Um... Hi," I say nervously. 

"Hiiii," Genevieve coos. "Big thithter!" She cheers. "Big thithter Y/n!"

I can only laugh and hug her close. "Big sister Y/n," I repeat. I turn to look at my parents. They have tears in their eyes. Merlin is watching with fondness. His eyes are full of love and pride. 

I can't wait for my life to start again.