Chapter 4

I ran into my house quickly to say hello to my mom and dad before rushing upstairs to get my very secret stash of makeup. I stuff the dark blue bag into my backpack and I rush back downstairs. I look at the clock on the stove and see the time it's 3:55. If I haul ass on my bicycle I could make it a little bit early.

I look at my mom and rush the question out of my mouth "Mom can I go to the library" she looks up at me from the stove that's she's currently cooking dinner on, I assume and says " Why honey, it's not like you need to study anything, it's the first day of school" I shoot back at her say "I'm a young man with a growing brain that's easily forgets materials over a certain amount of time."

she just squints back at me and says "Child, next time I'm telling you to study, you better remember this moment... go" she waves a dismissing hand in my direction. I run up to my room and throw my stuff on the bed. I go into my dresser and dig around until I find my small blue bag, I stuff it into my small going out backpack and fly out my front door. I grab my bicycle and head off to the bar.

I arrive at Monty's and lock my bicycle. I walk through the front door and greet Butch (the bodyguard) and walk through the dark room with neon light blazing through the place. There's not a lot of people other than a couple of regulars I know and some girls I haven't seen before, I guess they're here for the show at 4:30.

I walk to the red velvet door at the very back, and I'm immediately bombarded with greetings from the girls ''Darling why are you here so early?, are you skipping out on school?" Miss Summer says in her slight country accent, Tyra (who's working on her makeup) puts her brush down and looks at Miss summer " Honey, just how old are you, school ends at 3:30 around here" and picks her brush back up to continue her heavy eye shadow. Portia snaps at her "Tyra, you can't say anything about age, we all know you've had some lifts and reductions' ' the room explodes into soft laughter and my heart warms a bit, this place feels like home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I was 12 I was going through a lot of sexual confusion, and I was getting bullied because I was friends with a lot of girls ( before David came to my school). One particularly bad day I asked my mom if I could go out riding my bike, and she let me.

I had no destination in mind when I went out, I just kept going and going. I guess I wasn't paying attention, because I almost lost my life to a pole next to some bar. I fell to the ground and scraped my knees badly.

I wasn't thinking about any consequences when I entered the bar. It was dark and a bit smelly but I ignored it. I went up to the bar and saw some bartender. Before I could ask for some bandaids , the man got alarmed and was asking me why I'm here, I told him what happened and he understood. He went to the back to get some bandaids, and I stayed waiting for him to come back.

I heard the small bar fall in a hush as the music lowered and someone got onto the stage. She had on a sparkly dress ( that was VERY revealing) and had her face full of makeup and a big wig. She addressed the crowd and began to crack jokes. She was really funny. Then the whole room went darker and a huge spotlight was put on her and started to sing. I watched silently in awe.

The performance was over soon and she went backstage. I could hear the bartender coming back, but something was telling me to go say something to the person who performed. I ran quickly through the door that opened to the backstage. When I entered the back, I realized that the person who was performing was a drag queen. There were 5 of them. They were all putting on makeup, or making adjustments to their outfits . None of them heard me until I said "hello?"

They all turned to look at me and I got nervous. The one closest to me said "Honey, are you in the right place?" and I just looked back at her and said " I think so"

~~~~~present~~~~~~~

I loved being here with the queens, they are always fun to be around, never a dull moment. They would sometimes do my makeup and I always found it enjoyable. This has always been my second home. Sherry came over to me and said " And how's that fine ass friend of yours?" all of the girls make sounds of agreement and I just scoff " Vex, he's still a little shithead". Portia says " How come you still haven't done anything about that little crush you have on him"

My eyes go huge and I make a noise of disagreement " I don't have a crush on him, why would you say that?" Miss Summer and Tyra look at each other and scoff. I've spent almost an hour here with them so I look down at my apple watch and see it's almost time for me to go home and eat dinner. I say goodbye to them and make my way out of the club.