Three

I stirred when I heard sounds, more like murmurings, disturbing me from my sleep. The small smile on my face because of a good dream slowly faded away. My forehead knotted as the sounds became clearer.

Two men were talking. I froze on my spot when I perceived that they were inside my room.

Inside the room! While I was laying on the bed, unable to fight the danger that might come! 

I gripped the sheets tighter as another realization hit me. I was still in this dangerous place. Totoo talaga ito at hindi isang panaginip lang.

Pinakalma ko ang sarili ko nang sa ganoon ay hindi nila mapansin na gising na ako.

"Abi, I will explain." One man said. I recognized his voice. It was from the person who was smoking a cigarette last night. The man who laid his hands on me.

"Speak." The other also told, but his voice was more authoritative and demanding. I heard how the first man took a heavy breath before he proceeded with his speech.

"The plan was to take and kill Mariano Ortega, but..."

"But you failed." The second man cut his sentence, menacingly.

I silently gasped when I heard Papa's name. These people are targeting him. Kung hindi ako ang naabutan nila sa sasakyan ni Papa, malamang... I shivered at the thought.

Si Papa. Kumusta na kaya siya? Sana ligtas siya. Sana hindi siya mahanap ng mga tauhan ng dalawang lalaki na ito. At sana hindi madamay ang mga tao na malalapit sa amin.

I let out a silent prayer.

Nagpatuloy ako sa pagpapaganggap at nakinig sa usapan nila. Kailangan ko kumalma at alamin ang lahat ng makakatulong sa akin na makaalis sa lugar na ito.

The first man stayed silent like he didn't know what to say anymore. Minutes were passing that no one was speaking. I found myself holding my breath too. Nakakatakot ang katahimikan.

Suddenly, the second man spoke anew, surprising us. "Deniz!"  I swallowed. His wrath was palpable, like a mad man who can rip anyone apart. My heart pounded inside my chest. Hindi ko mapigilan ang sarili ko na matakot. I opened one eye and peeked at them. I saw how he gritted his teeth, his jaw clenched, and his veins almost popping out of his neck because of so much rage.

"It was an easy job. A very easy job, but you couldn't handle it! You even took that woman here! What are you planning to do with her?! What?!" He growled. I shut my eyes and pursed my lips together. I should not cry. I should not make a noise. Paulit ulit na sinasabi ko sa sarili ko kahit na gustong gusto ko na tumayo at magtago.

"I don't have time for nonsense acts, Deniz! I want to get rid of all the hindrances immediately! And most importantly, I want no excuses! " He stressed out every word

I gulped again in fear and gripped the sheets tighter. They will kill me. They will kill Papa. They will seriously do that, without a pause, without a doubt.

"Anladim, Abi." The first man replied, quietly. I felt like suffocating. The tension was too much. I want to be out here! I need to be out here!

I then heard steps and the door opened. Pinakiramdaman ko sila. I waited for few minutes and when no voice was echoing in the room, confirming also that they were no longer inside, I popped my eyes open and sat up. I let out the breath I was holding for long. I shivered in fear and the tears fell from my eyes.

I tried to comfort myself and be my own confidante. Stay strong, Apphia. Hinihintay ka pa ni Papa at lalo na ni Mama. I closed my eyes again and breathed. I felt my throat dry. Nauuhaw at nagugutom ako. I've been also getting uncomfortable with my clothes. I've been wearing my office uniform for almost 2 days.