Chapter 12: Lady Blackwood's Annual Garden Picnic Soiree

Reeling from his smile and that look meant just for her, Nicola now had to contend with another sort of mesmerisation altogether.

Lady Blackwood had outdone herself.

The gardens in front of the manor house spanned over three terraces at different levels. Each level had been decorated with not a thought left to spare over how to transform the setting into a mythical landscape of magical wonderment. The terrace that led out from the ballroom was edged with an abundance of lavender-coloured English roses; lanterns interspersed evenly between them to be lit up later once the party continued on into the evening. Here, a harpist was plucking out a melodious tune that spoke of a beautiful eeriness and harmony. Across from them, the stone steps that led down to the next level, were covered by a majestic, white-washed arch. Ivy leaves entwined around columns on either side and the top, while wisteria hung and swayed their periwinkle blooms with an enticing dance from the top of the arch itself.

Down the steps, the grass spanned the width of the manor house and blankets, shawls, carpets, and cushions of a variety of colours and designs were sprawled on the ground for guests to sit and mingle. There were more lanterns along the edge of the grass, that dropped off to the next level, also covered with an array of blankets and cushions. The third terrace levelled out towards the small lake at the centre of the gardens, in the middle a statue tribute to an ancestor of the family who was mounted upon a magnificent stallion, marble legs reared up and frozen mid-thrash while the imposing figure atop the steed raised a sword in his left hand.

Kathleen's attentions hadn't stopped on the three terraces leading down to the lake, oh no. Nicola, mouth agape, spied lines of ribbon and brightly coloured bunting draped from tree to tree, interspersed with little nautical jars that contained a candle within. Even the edges of the lake had been decorated accordingly, a pergola set up on the lawns below, also draped with ivy and more wisteria. The forest itself, which ran along the perimeters from left to right, appeared to be twined with ribbons and lanterns.

Guests were milling on the lawns and excitement was evident by the lively chatter, the awed glances as they, too, struggled to take it all in. An array of costumed ladies assaulted Nicola's senses with yet more wings, colours, flora. She spied one woman who had styled her head in a fashion that decidedly resembled antlers and another who had entwined vines of ivy around her arms and waist. The gentlemen were more subdued with their attire, but few made the effort to dress with colours of gaiety.

However Kathleen had contrived such an event, Nicola would never know.

"This is... amazing," she said, directing her compliment at Lady Blackwood still at her son's side. Kathleen smiled at her warmly and deftly snatched a flute of champagne from a passing footman.

"You've outdone yourself, mother," Diana said, gesturing to the opulence around them. "Truly, I thought last year was ostentatious. You'll be the talk of the town for months for this."

Jason disengaged from his sister and Lady Blackwood, procuring for himself a flute of champagne as well, wings twitching with each movement. "My attire hardly warrants a second glance amidst this," he remarked, gesturing vaguely at the spectacular garden.

Although Nicola couldn't help agree, she doubted very much that Jason wouldn't warrant a second glance from any person present. He simply was quite magnificent, hooded silver eyes surveying the scene before him while a good-natured smile upturned the corners of his lips. Lady Blackwood made off with Diana and Grace to mingle with her guests, ever the conscientious hostess, and, as if taking a silent cue, Blanche began to move towards the steps, tugging Nicola along excitedly. "Look, Nicki, I do believe I see Abigail and Jane over there," she gushed happily, "we must say hello!"