30

the reason why aera had pushed sungchan away in the moment was because she knew that he wasn't in his right mind. intimate moments were rare between the couple: the spent more time arguing than anything else. still, aera wanted him to have a clear mind before things advanced between the pair.

more over, she didn't want him to use her as a distraction to his grief.

she watched as he left the room without a single emotion in his eyes and told herself that he would learn to understand when it was time. it slipped her mind that neither of them understood each other's actions very well.

she got up from the bed and walked to the balcony to gaze up at the night sky. she sighed audibly and watched as the maids of the castle scurried about on the castle grounds with black fabrics, covering everything.

it was a tradition, one that had lasted hundreds of years. it was to guide the soul into the afterlife without having them feel remorse for leaving behind expensive, mundane things.

aera had always thought the tradition was foolish, how could a soul possibly see these things?

her sight landed on a balcony that was three doors away and she blinked when she saw renjun standing there. she got out of her own room and rushed the balcony that she and her friends used to always spend time at.

"how did you get out?" she asked and he turned to look at her with a bitter smile.

"haechan released me. he even told me to control my jealousy. it's funny isn't it? the people around me don't support me when all i want to do is love and care for my soulmate properly. they act like its a sin to want love from someone you're destined to be with," renjun's hand came up to stroke aera's hair but she dodged it.

"renjun... don't you ever want to meet your second soulmate? why do you keep thinking that i'm the one?" aera asked cautiously.

renjun stared at her, "because i was here for you before you even met him. i was the boy you grew up with aera. remember when you would get nightmares and you would always come and sleep with me in my room? or the countless paintings of you that i made all because i was already falling for you back then?"

aera didn't know what to say.

"i was there for you rain or shine. i was the shoulder that you cried on and the one that made you smile brighter than the sun. so what does he do for you that i don't? actually, what can he do better than me?" renjun pressed, his voice getting louder and louder despite the entire castle mourning a death.

"he loves me. he unconditionally loves me even though he's a prince. he was willing to throw away the crown, a marriage, and his life here to be with me. and although he has flaws, he acknowledges it and apologizes when the time is right," aera said, defending sungchan.

"and here i thought you were falling out of love with me," sungchan walked out from the shadows where he had been eavesdropping and wrapped his arms around aera's waist from behind.

aera blushed crimson and became completely silent, embaressed. renjun glowered at the prince and blurted out, "i can do that too!"

sungchan nodded, "you're right. you can also do that for her and probably much more if you put your mind to it. but you treat it like a competition, instead of being with her because you love her. more than anything, you keep trying to be better than me and that's all you talk about when trying to convince her to be with you. if aera were to pick you, it would be the old renjun, not the one standing in front of her now. and if that were her choice, i wouldn't stop her because the man you were back then was better than i could ever be. "

aera looked up at sungchan to find his face inches away from her own. he was looking back at her, full of love.

he continued to speak, "so go ahead and try all you want, but now that i've heard her tonight, i have confidence that she's my girl and she's not going anywhere."

sungchan unwrapped his arms from aera's waist and held her hand instead. he smiled softly at her before leading the way back to their shared room.

aera sat on the bed, still awestruck at all the words that her boyfriend had just said, "i love you sungchan, i just hope you know that. even when we fight, i still always love you."

sungchan laid down next to her and patted his outstretched arm for her to lay on, "i love you most aera, and i apologize for not being the most perfect boyfriend to you. i've never had a relationship before you and i didn't talk to anyone other than haechan. so i'm still trying to overcome my shortcomings."

aera snuggled against his chest, "i wouldn't have you any other way, your shortcomings are what make our relationship special. it's a learning process for both of us. i'll also try and understand you better instead of judging too quickly."

sungchan nodded, "deal, before we know it, we might even stop fighting."

aera snorted, "yeah that will never happen."

sungchan chuckled, "you're right."

aera pulled the covers over the both of them, "goodnight my prince."

"goodnight, sweet dreams."