21 | attachment theory one

By the time Nea and I arrive, the party is in full swing. As we approach the sidewalk, I make note of the legions of cars parked outside, the trap beat that's even audible from outside, and the littering of red solo cups on the lawn near the white picket fence. Not gonna lie, sometimes I forget how many friends Sazuri actually has because she usually only hangs out with Blaise in her free time. I can see why she's so well-liked, though. She's so sweet. Nervously, I clutch the gift wrapped in newspaper closer to my chest, wishing I could cling onto Nea for comfort. This might be the first and last party I attend, so I might as well make the most of it. In terms of structure, Sazuri's house is quite picturesque, with creme-colored walls, beige trim, and a grey shingled ceiling. 

Entering the front door is like stepping into another dimension. One filled with clusters of kids entertaining themselves by talking to others, nursing their drinks, or playing a game of Mario Kart in her living room. Hesitantly, I follow Nea down the crowded hallway, and in front of the TV, where Sazuri is talking to one of my Government classmates who I recognized to be Rylie. He tilts his head back, letting those loose blond curls fall away from his forehead as he laughs at something she said. Around her on the floor are layers of silver and clear balloons filled with glitter. Hanging from the ceiling are shimmering ribbons. On the wall by her bookshelf, a banner that reads "HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY" is hanging in a curved shape, accompanied by large balloons that say 18 as well. Inside, the temperature is immensely more humid compared to the night breeze we felt on the porch.

Blaise is still nowhere to be found. Not that I'm looking for him. Because I'm definitely not.

Somehow, the birthday girl finds us amidst a sea of bodies and immediately stops talking to her companion, making her way towards us.

"Hey so my favorite ladies finally decided to show up," she greets with a smile, her voice almost drowned out by the bass of a trap song blaring from the speakers, crossing her arms around her waist, her flannel opening wider to reveal her white tank underneath.

"Yeah, sorry we're kind of late," Nea replies sheepishly, wiping her palms on her jeans. "Took some convincing to get Remi here."

That's an understatement. Despite the fact that it's currently 11 PM, I managed to fall asleep 2 hours ago while reading a book. My alarm went off 3 times, and apparently, I couldn't hear the buzzing. It wasn't until Nea barged into my room that I realized we're half an hour late. On top of that, Nea had to practically drag me out the door because I was taking too long digging through my closet for clean clothes, so she forced me to borrow one of her pink T-shirts that's cropped a little too short and black jeans that I haven't worn since middle school.

"I'm excited about it, I swear," I defend, and she laughs. Thankfully, this area is a lot quieter and there's a lull during the transition of songs so we can hear each other.

"I'm kidding, there's no set time for people to arrive. All I said was the house is ready at 10," she clarifies, attention shifting to the present lodged between my hand and thigh.

"Oh," I hand it to her, raising my voice as a rapper whose voice I don't recognize begins his verse, "this is for you, from us. Happy birthday."

"Thank you," she replies, carefully inspecting the wrapping paper, "this is so sweet. I'll put it on the counter where all the others are later. I'm sure you guys brought the best one."

God, I hope so. To be transparent, I had no idea what to buy her, so we settled for a mug that says "#1 Teacher" in an apple and another one that says "Students' Tears." We filled them both with random pieces of jewelry, pins, homemade cookies, and stationary. 

"You're finally legal," I remind her with a small smile, "how does adulting feel like so far?"

"Fucking awful," she groans, rolling her playful eyes, "the law can no longer protect me from creepy old men hitting on me."