I Know More Than You Think

*Mamoru's perspective*

Just as I thought, with a simple statement, he was staring at me with subject horror.
I guess that's always how it goes.
I didn't want a hidden as vulnerable as this guy to be afraid of me.
I needed to show him I only wanted to help.
I held up my hand, making him flinch. I understand why.

"Look, Shiroi, let me explain..."

He seemed to actually calm down, waiting for my explanation. As if it will make anything better.

I sighed, looking out at a bright world long since tinted grey in my eyes.
"My quirk is Trauma Holder. If I touch someone with my quirk activated, I can see every traumatic event they've ever been through.
I saw your trauma, Shiroi. And may I just say... I saw most of your life."

*Shiroi's perspective *

I felt tears trickle down my face. Mamoru saw my life. My trauma.
Yet he didn't run away.
He still sat here, sharing his food.

He looked down at me, his tired eyes almost always half-closed.
" I specialize in how mutated quirk development effects Hidden.
And you, Shiroi... Have what's called a half-activated quirk phenomenon."

I tilted my head, confused.
"Huh?"

He looked away from me, lighting-a cigarette?
"H-hey! Those I bad for you! Are you even supposed to have that???"

He looked down at me again. "I know. Never start. They're hard to quit.
And what I mean with the whole quirk thing is you were born with part of your quirk active. Normally, with encouragement, this stops at around 2 or 3 since hidden manifest their quirks from or before birth.
But with no training or encouragement, you could just stay in a half-active state."

He gestured at me.
" That... Is not your normal size obviously. Your quirk is half activated. From what I saw, it's been like that since your birth.
Because your parents never helped you. Never even tried to help you.
I'm guessing being under constant stress is actually what kept it active.
It also explains your apparent lack of control over your speed quirk. That's not your whole quirk, only one aspect of it. "

*Shiroi's perspective *

I simply sat and listened as this almost complete stranger laid out my problems and explained them. I... I wasn't the problem?
Then it hit me.
" So... You're saying if I trained... I could be n-normal sized? "

*Mamoru's perspective *

Hell, from my point of view, he just needed to not be stressed and he could be normal in a second. His actual quirk seemed to be based off the idea of shrinking during one of his high pressure dashes, like a bullet, for combat, defense, or speed, before returning to normal. He wasn't meant to be stuck like this.

I smiled at him. The poor guy had been through some shit.

"Of course! Do you have somewhere to stay? Since you really shouldn't go back to your parents."

Shiroi wrung his hands. "I...don't."

I sighed. I was going to regret this...
"You could stay with me..."

He perked up at that. "Are you sure? Would your parents mind?"

I shrugged. "I live solo in an apartment."

He frowned. "Is a 18 year old allowed to live on their own?"

I thought through the question. We were just now being acknowledged by the public, which is why UA just accepted us as a special class. Basically for college students. Since a lot of hero colleges don't acknowledge us yet. UA is quite kind to go out of their way for us.
A lot of us already had apartments, jobs, and relationships.
Shiroi was completely alone. I couldn't leave him alone like that.

"Of course it is. And before you say anything, I don't mind at all."

He smiled at me, a sight that surprisingly made my heart jump.
His silver eyes sparkled at me like I ignited some lost spark of joy.
"Thank you so much!!!"

"Whatever. Just meet me outside after classes."
               ***after classes***

*Shiroi's perspective *

I met him outside, just as he said.

He was standing next to a black low-rider, twirling the keys on his finger as he smoked a cigarette.
"There you are-ready to go?"

I nodded. "Oh! You already know, but I'm Shiroi."

He nodded. "And I'm Mamoru."

He helped me into the car, and the drive to his apartment was rather silent.
I couldn't help but feel my trust issues creep up in the back of my head.
What if he only wanted to abuse me like my dad and mom?
What if He worked for my dad and lied about his quirk? What if-NO!
BRAIN, SHUT. UP. PLEASE.

"We're here." his voice almost seemed monotone at times. But it broke me out of my self destructive spiral.

I nodded. "O-oh. Okay."

When we walked into his apartment... I really don't know what I was expecting... But this was nice.
It wasn't big, but... Not exactly small. Pleasant. There was little clutter except some gaming magazines left out on his coffee table, a plush husky on the couch, and an open cook book on the kitchen counter.

"I'm sorry, I didn't expect to come home with a roommate..."

Was he apologizing??? For this??? It was spotless!
If this was messy, what was clean???

He set me down on the counter, smiling at me.
The sight made my heart jump a little. Weird feeling... I'll have to ask what it means later.

*Mamoru's perspective *

I can't believe I let that be his first impression of my apartment. Ugh.
I looked down to see him smiling back at me.
Huh. Wonder if the dude will stop smiling back at me. Kind of makes me think of a trauma response. Like he had to mask his emotions to his parents or else he would get beaten.
But... It didn't seem like one.
Well, I'm still relatively new to all this.

I went and took a shower, thinking as I put on my pajamas.
Shiroi was vulnerable right now. Fresh out of an abusive household. I needed to make him feel safe. Secure.

I stumbled back, almost crashing into the counter. His trauma was flashing through my head. Images so clear. So crystal. Just as he viewed them.
I feel so bad for him.
Nobody should be isolated and abused like that. Nobody.

I walked out into the main room, smiling like an idiot as I saw where Shiroi ran off to. He was trying to read my cookbook I left out. Cute.
What? I'm going to ignore that.

*Shiroi's perspective *

I looked over my shoulder at the bathroom door opening. Mamoru walked from the hall, wearing a white tee and a pair of black pajama pants.
Blood rushed to my face. What? Weird.
So, do I, uh, sleep on the couch?

Mamoru thought for a second.
"... I'll take the couch. You can use my bed."

I flushed bright red. "I WOULD MUCH RATHER USE THE COUCH, THANK YOU!"
I... Don't know why I yelled.

Mamoru seemed as surprised as I was. "Okay... If that's what you want."
          *****around 2 am*****

*Mamoru's perspective *

I couldn't sleep. As per normal. I felt so tired, but hey. What are you gonna do?
I walked out to the main area, intending on getting a glass of water as I glanced over at the couch.
I stopped dead in my tracks.
Shiroi was lying on the couch... Normal sized. And... Um... Naked.

I franticly covered my eyes, throwing a blanket over him.
I had to get him some clothes.
I ran to my room, grabbing a pair of sweats I outgrew and a white hoodie.
I brought them out, laying them on the coffee table in front of him.
He'll understand when he wakes up.
Guess he really did just need a single break from the constant stress of feeling in danger... Of being abused. I headed back to my room, but no sleep was on my mind.
Just how I could explain this to him.