chapter 17: Marriage Maze

Neely had sang a song about their town of Denton and got the audience to participate. The camera would go to Neely and shift over to the crowd at times. Two members looked a bit out of place when the woman attempted to sing along while the man looked like he was very hesitant about being there.

Katie looked at the screen as she brushed Sapphire's hair. She blinked. "Brad and Janet?" She asks, sounding shocked and quiet.

Sapphire didn't hear that, she just looked entranced with the television like any typical American child would be. Ralph and Macy even had a part in the song as they joined in with the crowd.  There was an older couple who seemed to have some resemblance to Janet as they joined in as well.

"You're Denton, Denton USA!~" the people sang.

Katie blinked, still brushing Sapphire's hair.

Neely went closer to the audience and talked with the couple everyone now paid attention to. "Hi, Brad, hi, Janet, come for the Marriage Maze? I'm exhausted working on this documentary for Farley's new SHOW. Farley Flavors, our new sponsor," she shook Janet's hand. "I tell you, Janet, that guy's as close as we'll come to a successful man in this town."

Janet lay her eyes on Brad just then.

"Thank you, Judge Oliver Wright," Betty came on the camera. "And now for a commercial break."

Cut to Macy in a graduation cap and glasses with younger kids in front of a blackboard. Katie looked creeped out by the sign. Katie looked around, just to make sure no one was going to sneak up.

Cherry lay in her bed with the TV on, then she jolted when Magenta came into her room and shut the door behind her. She sat up on her bed. "Maggie," she couldn't help but call the woman that now after certain others got in the habit. "We're supposed to stay in our own rooms... Go back to Riff Raff."

"Shh..." Magenta shushed her, glaring harshly at her, then came up to her a little nastily.

Frank was pacing in his room, thinking about Cherry being pregnant now. Who could the father had been? She never mentioned anything about a boyfriend or having a husband when he attempted to seduce her before he realized she was his long-lost daughter.

"Maggie, I mean it, get out of here!" Cherry tried to push Magenta out of her room, but the woman purposely made herself weak and landed on top of Cherry, squishing her with her butt. "Get off!"

"No." Magenta said simply.

The doors were all shut and SECURED. Katie nodded, relieved. She started to braid Sapphire's hair. Sapphire still looked bored during the commercial break, but she played with her flower beret Katie had taken out. Katie soon had the braid done. She took the pin gently and put it in the braid.

Sapphire gave Katie the flower when she needed it and continued to watch. "Why are there more commercials than TV show?" She pouted a little.

"Because they want you to buy stuff... but, I mostly ignore commercials." Katie tells her.

"If only we could fast forward..." Sapphire sighed, but luckily for her, the commercials just stopped then. 

It was now time for the man known as Bert Shnick to make an appearance, and the crowd loved him. Brad and Janet were surprised to see Ralph. Katie looked at the man. Bert was quite good at pleasing the crowd. Betty was still angry that Ralph had been charmed by Macy and actually wanted to put their marriage back on track, she would hide this in the public eye. Oliver noticed that one of his colleagues left.