Chapter 13

"Holy shit," Glenn breathes out. He and Hershel walk up behind Rick to look at Tony's dead body. I don't bother. I've seen enough of the things to last me a lifetime. Human and non-human. 

   "You all right?" Rick asks him.

   "Yeah," Glenn says, barely above a whisper. 

   "Hershel? Ivy?" 

   I shrug. "I'm fine. We should get out of here soon. Who knows what or who those gunshots are bringing our way."

   Hershel nods in agreement. "Let's head back."

   Rick kneels to collect Tony's gun and bullets, so I walk over to grab Dave's. We head for the doors, but a car approaching sends us ducking to hide. The others hide right in front of the door and I dive behind the bar. The car stops in front of the building and I can hear the doors open and shut. There goes my hope of them driving by. 

   "Dave? Tony?" a man calls out quietly. "They said over here?"

   "Yeah," another responds.

   "I'm telling you, man, I heard shots," a third insists. At least three. Worse comes to worse, we can deal with that. Hell, I could handle that. 

   "I saw roamers two streets over. Might be more around here," the second man says.

   "It's hot. We gotta get outta here," the first chimes in. 

   "Dave! Tony!" the third calls out. 

   "Shut up, you idiot! You want to attract em?" the first hisses. "Just stick close. We're gonna find em." A few moments of silence.

   "Dude, he said stay close," the second man says quietly. 

   "Tony," the third whispers. I hear footsteps outside and they walk away. Everything goes quiet again, but we don't dare move for several minutes. I eventually peek over the bar top and look at Rick. 

   'What now?' I mouth to him, not wanting to say anything out loud and risk alerting them to our presence. He slowly stands and peeks out the  window and pulls back after a few seconds. He crouches back down and waddles over to Glenn and Hershel. He motions for me to join them and I dart over as quick and quiet as I can. 

   "Why won't they leave?" Glenn asks in a whisper.

   "Would you?" Rick asks just as quietly. "We can't stay here any longer. Let's head to the back and make a run for the car." It's as good a plan as any, but the moment that we make a move for the back a gunshot goes off and we're sent scrambling for the wall.

   "What happened?" one of the men asks.

   "Roamers," another responds. "I nailed em."

   "They disappeared, but their car's still their." 

   "I cleared those buildings. You guys clear this one?" I silently curse and hope that he isn't talking about the bar. Someone grabs my shoulder and I look over at Rick. He points to the bar and motions for me to go over to it. I shake my head. He gives me a stern look and I sigh in annoyance. I glance out the window and see none of the men are looking over at the bar. I quickly and quietly run back to my original hiding spot behind the bar, making sure to stay low to the ground the whole way. I duck behind the bar just as someone tries to open the door. Glenn scrambles in front of the door and slams it back shut. Well, if they didn't know we were in here before, they do now.

  "What?" one man says in confusion. 

   "Someone pushed it shut." I think that was the second man. "Someone's in there. Yo, is someone in there?" he calls out. "Yo, if someone's in there, we don't want no trouble. We're just looking for our friends.