Chapter 10

I furrow my brow when I see Maggie and Glenn coming back from they're run. Maggie doesn't look too happy and Glenn is trailing behind her, trying to calm her down. She marches up to Lori and starts going off, throwing things on the ground and shoving something at Lori's chest before stomping off. Glenn gives Lori an apologetic glance before following after Maggie. 

   I still have my doubts about Maggie, but I don't know what to do. The water the house draws on is holy water now, so I just have to wait for her to drink some or wash her hands or something. They're silverware is real silver, so that's that. And she uses salt on food. I'm starting to wonder if she isn't Bela. Could either Maggie or Bela have been adopted? I might have to talk to Hershel about this.

   I get up and look around. Everyone seems to be doing something and I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm not Shane's biggest fan, but I should have been the one going on that run. Not Andrea. Someone who's just learning to shoot and is already a cocky little bitch about it. I walk over to my tent and crawl into it with a sigh. 

   "Castiel, are you there?" I ask softly. I've been debating on calling Crowley. If the angel isn't answering, maybe the demon will. "Castiel, please. I'm running out of options here. Getting so desperate I might even call Balthazar. Not that the asshole would answer, but I'm that desperate. Come on, Cas. Anything?" No flutter of wings or baby in a trench coat. I'm on my on when it comes to Cas. "Well, fuck you, too," I mutter. "Stupid, over grown chicken."

Everyone is quiet as we eat. We all seem tense for one reason or another and it's rather uncomfortable. I know Maggie is watching us from the porch, but I don't bother looking over at her. What's her problem anyway? I finish my food and get up to leave. Someone's hand closing around my arm makes me pause. I glance back to see Glenn. 

   "Can you sit down for a moment?" he asks and I give him a confused look. "Please?" I sigh and sit back down. I pull out a knife and twirl it around for something to do with my hands. He goes to stand in front of everyone. "Um, guys." People glance at him, but not with too much interest. He seems nervous. I don't like it. "So . . . the is full of walkers." I nearly drop the knife on my foot as I rocket to my feet. Everyone stares at him.

   I take off for the barn and can hear footsteps following me. What does he mean there's walkers in the barn?!? I reach it and put my ear up to the wood. Moaning. I can hear them. I peep through planks and see walkers roaming around the barn. 

   I look back at the others with a grim look. I direct my gaze to Rick and nod. Shane curses and turns to Rick.

   "You cannot tell me you're all right with this," Shane growls. 

   "No, I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land," Rick says. I pull my gun as I stare at the doors. I could do it. I've fought worse. I glance at Carl. I'm not sure if I can do it without anyone else getting hurt. 

   "This is our lives!" My gaze jerks to Shane. 

   "Lower your voice," Glenn says. 

   "We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea says.

   "It ain't right. Not remotely," T-Dog says. 

   "Okay, we've either gotta go in there, we got to make things right or we've just got to go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time."

   "We can't go," Rick says. 

   "Why, Rick? Why?" Shane demands. 

   "Because my daughter is still out there," Carol says. 

  "Okay." Shane lets out what I can only describe as a small laugh and covers his face. "I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility."