━━ PROLOGUE

ANDROMEDA JACKSON had grown up in a constantly shifting family situation.

 her aunt sally her mother's sister had been through several jobs since the death of their last relative remaining, and one day she had met a man with whom she had a baby: her cousin percy.

 it wasn't a very common family, she guessed: an eleven-year-old with her five years old cousin and her aunt. well, and the abusive husband of the former. if andy tried real hard, she could remember what it was like before.

 when she was a toddler, she lived with her mum adelaide in london. her grandparents had been living in the same city until their catastrophic death in an airplane crash, when her aunt sally traveled to the united states to live with uncle rich ( who was now dead ).

 from what she remembered, andromeda lived a happy life as happy as you could be in the middle of a war, always surrounded by her mother's smile and grown-ups she couldn't quite remember the faces of, but by just thinking about them, a feeling of warmth run through her.

 her little bubble of happiness had been destroyed in the summer of 1981 when masked individuals had entered their home and murdered her mum in front of her. andy didn't remember much about that night just enough to have detailed nightmares, which all ended with a voice assuring her that everything was going to be alright.

 ( which was not, by the way. )

 she had just turned eleven when a bird with brown feathers entered their apartment through the kitchen's window.

 tilting her head, she approached the animal with curiosity, admiring its beauty. it was holding a letter with its mouth, and when andy reached with her hand, the owl let the piece of paper fall into her hand.

 andy held onto the letter, giving it a couple of turns and trying to read what it said. it had a yellowish color, and she was almost one hundred percent sure that it had her name written in cursive but she was dyslexic, so who knows?

 the sound of the doorbell made her look up to the clock on the wall. gabe would be gambling all their money away until nightfall, sally wouldn't be home for fifteen minutes and percy was still at daycare, unless they had gotten home earlier than usual.

 and yes, andy knew that opening the door to strangers was what started the industry of serial killersstranger danger and all that, but what she saw through the peephole was way too interesting to let it go.

 she opened the door, letting into view an old woman with eccentric appearance andy had just learned that word and she loved it. the woman was wearing long robes that resembled the starry night and on top of her head she had a pointy black hat.

 andy blinked, taking in the bizarre clothes and she said the first thing that came to her mind.

 "hi, are you a witch?"

 the woman looked perplexed.

 "you're like my mom, right?" andy grinned, tilting her head and stepping aside, welcoming her to the inside of the small apartment. "sorry, my aunt sally always says i speak without thinking. my name's andromeda, but people call me andy.

 the witch ( because andy was sure she was a witch ) looked at her with the ghost of a smile on her face and accepted the invitation to enter her home.

 "i'm afraid your aunt is quite right, miss jackson," she announced, british accent slipping through her words. "my name is minerva mcgonagall. i'm the deputy headmistress at hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, where your mother did her studies and where we'd like you to do yours as well. "

( i'm so excited for this, andy is my baby.
also, english is not my first language so
please feel free to correct me if
necessary! <3 )