Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Tris' POV:

I wake up Monday morning with Tobias' arms encircling me, making me feel safe. My head is on his chest, and I slowly look up to see him already smiling down at me.

"Why are you staring at me?" I ask.

"Because you're beautiful," he replies.

I blush and hide my face by burying it in his shoulder. He chuckles.

"C'mon, we slept in, so we'll have to skip breakfast and go straight to work," he tells me.

I get out of bed and rub my eyes, yawning.

After getting ready, I give Tobias a hug, and kiss on the cheek.

"Bye," I say. "I love you."

"Love you too."

<><><>

When I get to work, I check up on a few patients. Some with injuries as small as a broken bone, and some that are so injured they are in a coma.

"Tris Eaton, please report to room 611 immediately," a monotone voice says over the loud speaker.

I wonder what that's about. Maybe all of the other nurses and doctors are busy.

I make my way to the room, walking quickly.

I enter, and immediately regret it.

A woman lies on a bed in a hospital gown. Her husband stands beside her. I notice the woman's large stomach right away.

My mouth hangs open.

"Oh good, you're here! We're preparing her for a caesarean, and we need an extra nurse," the doctor states.

"A-a c-section?" I ask.

"Yes, is there a problem?"

"I-I just--"

"Good! Alright, we will start in a few minutes," she interrupts me, getting her tools ready.

I gulp.

I notice the pregnant woman crying, and her husband is flustered.

"Hi," I say walking near them, "I'm Tris."

"Hi," the man says stiffly. The woman still cries.

"Hey, it's ok. I know what you're going through," I say to her.

"You do?"

I nod. "I went through the same thing. How many months are you?"

"Seven," she replies.

"I was six and a half months along," she gives me a sympathetic look that I don't appreciate. "You'll be fine, and your baby will be fine. I promise." I touch my hand to her shoulder and smile softly.

"Alright, Tris, could you please give her this?" He holds up a large shot.

I pick up the needle and insert it carefully into her back. She winces, but just barely.

"Be brave," I say to her.

<><><>

After the c-section I helped with, they let me go home early. The doctors knew that it was something that was not comfortable for me.

I sit on my couch, watching an old movie.

It's over in 2 hours, and I'm really tired.

Just as I close my eyes, I hear the door open and I jolt.

"Hey Tobias," I yawn.

"Hey, did they let you off early?" He sits beside me.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I had to...umm...help with a c-section, and they knew I wasn't comfortable afterwards so they told me to go home." I explain.

"They made you help with a c-section? Are you ok?" He pulls me against him.

"I don't know," I close my eyes tight, fighting away tears. "It just reminds me so much of him. Trace." Saying his name has me balling. I'm still not comfortable with it.

Tobias picks me up, and walks into our room, setting me gently on the bed.

"Hey, you're ok. It's over now, you don't have to do that anymore."

"Tobias I might." I choke out.

"What? Why?"

"I don't understand it, but...but I liked being able to help the parents, and the baby. I want to try as hard as I can to keep the child alive because ours isn't." My crying slows.

"Tris, that's great," he says.

"What?" I sniffle, looking him in the eye.

"Do you know how admirable that is? Our baby didn't make it, so you want to help other babies make it." He's smiling at me. I smile back.

"Thanks," I say, blushing.

"You're amazing," he tells me.

I just grin, and kiss him gently.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

<><><>

I tell my boss what I'm interested in the following day.

"We are in need of nurses in that area, so I would be happy to put you there! You'll start in there today," he tells me.

"Ok, thank you!"

I start to walk away, and he yells after me, "Ryan will be training you in the NICU, and Karen will train you for births!"

"Ok!"

I walk into the NICU, where all the sick babies are held. My son died in this room.

This was a mistake.

I see a man around my age cradling a baby with a tube coming from its chest.

"Umm, excuse me? Is Ryan here?" I ask.

"Yeah, that's me," he says. He gently places the baby in its incubator, and turns to me.

"You're Tris ri--" suddenly a concerned look takes over his once smiling face.

"Are you alright," he walks quickly towards me.

"What?" I sniffle, then realize that I've been crying.

"Oh. Sorry about that," I look down, my cheeks turning a shade of pink.

"No, it's ok. What happened?"

"Bad memories. My child was in here once, that's all."

"Did they make it?"

"N-No." I respond. That's when I burst into tears.

"Hey," he says gently leading me to an office, then shutting the door. "Sorry, I didn't want to wake the babies."

"Oh, yeah. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize." He collects me in his arms.

I stay there for a moment, then slightly push him away.

"I'm sorry--I-I shouldn't do that."

"No, no it's my fault. It just looked like you needed a hug."

I smile slightly and try to return to normal.

"So what kind of training do I need?"

<><><>

Hey! SOOOOO sorry about the wait!

I've been pretty busy.

Love Yall!

Be brave. <4