Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Tris' POV:

It's been a month since we talked to Evelyn. Now I'm six months along with our child.

One of our many doctors appointments happens to be today.

"Tobias? Are you ready?" I yell, waddling to the living room.

"Yep. Let's go." He slips on his shoes, and we start walking to the infirmary.

When we get there we check in, and soon, a nurse calls us into a room.

Once the doctor arrives, I lay down on the paper covered table, as normal, and lift my shirt to expose my swollen belly.

"Alright, let's get started." The doctor says to no one in particular.

She spreads the cold jelly across my stomach, and waves the stick around.

A black and white image appears on the screen. Soon, I see our baby. Trace. He looks so big now!

I get tears in my eyes. He'll be with us in three short months.

The doctor frowns and squints at the screen.

"Is something wrong?" Tobias asks urgently.

"Hmm. I'm not quite sure. His heart beat is a little slow, and he hasn't developed as much as other babies  have when they are this far along. It might lead to some other medical issues when he's born. Just be really, really careful for now." She says, still examining the screen. "But, he should start kicking soon."

Tobias is holding in tears, trying to be strong for me. I don't know if I can take it anymore.

The doctor gives us some tips on what to do, and leaves, saying, "Good luck to you all."

When a doctor says good luck, that is definitely not a good sign.

The door shuts, and I burst into sobs. I'm crying so hard I'm shaking.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I repeat in between my cries.

"Tris." Tobias says.

I look up. "Tobias, I'm so--"

"Tris. This isn't your fault." He interrupts.

"Yes it--"

"No. It's not." He says more sternly this time. "This baby is going to make it. I promise you. We'll do everything humanly possible to keep him alive Tris." He tells me. "I'm taking off work until he's born."

"Tobias you can't do that. They'll fire you."

"Then let them fire me. The well being of my family is much more important than a stupid job." He states.

"I love you." I press my lips firmly to his.

<><><>

Tobias' POV:

All I can think about after we arrive home is what's going to happen to our child. I already love him tremendously.

Tris has been silently crying since the appointment. Well, after she sobbed for a few minutes that is.

She quickly wipes her cheeks, hoping I don't notice. I take her face in my hands and gently wipe tears away.

"Sorry." She mumbles.

"Stop apologizing." I tell her.

She just looks at the floor.

"Tris you're getting stressed, and that's not good for the baby. You need to relax. Everything will turn out fine. I promise."

Tris nods, but I don't think she's convinced.

"Let's make some lunch." Her stomach grumbles, and I smile. "Trace is hungry."

After lunch, Tris is exhausted-probably from all the crying- and goes to take a nap.

While she's asleep, I call into work and tell them that I'll be out for three months. They say because I'm the best in the control room, they'll let me have off since I have a good reason.

I'm thinking about how drastically our lives will change once Trace is born. If he's born.

Tris and I will be full time parents. If he isn't born, we will both slip into a depression. God, I hope he's born.

As I sit there, still thinking about what life will bring, I here Tris screaming in the other room.

Oh God.

I run to her as fast as possible, and she sits up frantically, searching the room for something. Then, she sobs.

"Tris? Tris is everything ok? Was it just a nightmare? What's wrong?" I ask, fearing we already lost our son.

"Nightmare." She chokes out.

I sit next to her on the bed, cradling her in my arms.

"Tell me about it." I say.

"He didn't make it. The baby." She says. Tris sniffles trying to hold back a sob, and fails.

"Tris. It's ok, he's still here. Look." I point to her stomach. She sets both of her small hands on her belly, and it seems to calm her.

"Remember, you have to keep calm. You don't want to stress the baby."

She just nods, her eyes closed.

"Hey," I turn her face toward me with one hand. The other rests where are baby is. "I love you."

I kiss her with all the passion I have in me. Suddenly something knocks against my palm, and Tris yelps, her eyes wide with surprise.

"What--"

Another bump interrupts me. It was right on my hand.

"He's kicking." She says, looking at her stomach. "Tobias! He's kicking!"

"He kicked for me. Right where my hand was!" I say in shock.

"He's been with me this whole time, and he wanted to show his Daddy some love." She states.

We both cry together as Trace continues to kick.

"Hey bud," I start. "Thanks for the kicks. We love you, hang in there." I kiss Tris' belly, and after I pull away, another kick takes place in the exact spot my lips were at.

I smile, and so does Tris. Other than the size of her stomach, these kicks are the only sign that he's here. He's actually here with us.

That night, Tris lays in bed squirming, complaining that Trace is kicking her constantly.

She turns towards me and I place my hand on her belly. Her hand rests on top of mine. The kicks immediately cease, like we calmed him just by our touch.

"I love you both." I state.

"We love you too."

I smile, and fall into a deep sleep filled with dreams of our perfect little family.

<><><>

A/N: Hey yall! Here's an update for ya. 💁

I don't know if it's any good, but I tried. 😂

So, my language arts teacher is making me do a spelling bee. 😒 I didn't even have a choice! Ugh!

QOTD: Have you ever done a spelling bee?

AOTD: No 😁

OMG FOURTRIS FOREVER HAS 340 K READS! AHHHHH! ❤️

Thanks for reading!

Be brave. <4