𝟑.

1956

The Wheeler household has always been full of favoritism, it being passed down to Ted who treated his youngest, Holly, like she was his world, reflective of how his dad treated him growing up.

Howie Wheeler was an avid worker, desperately trying to get his family above the poverty line, but that didn't mean he wasn't present. Ted was able to be himself around his father, who never once insulted him about his weight. He barely even pointed it out, blaming his poor social life on the fact that he didn't exude confidence. People liked charisma, something that Ted lacked. Something that he wanted his son to have, praising and acknowledging his work and lifting his spirits through the hard times. Having lost both of his siblings and being the only Wheeler kid left.

Howie never verbally told Ted that he was his favorite, but they've always had a mutual understanding, a mutual respect for each other. It was different than with the other two, the oldest, Brandon, always doing his own thing and never around the rest of the family, and Coley caring more about her friends than hanging out with her dad. Ted was the only one who shamelessly adored his father and would never get tired of stories of his youth.

So when he started to work later hours, Ted seeing him less and less, the boy knew something was up and went searching for answers.

Ted followed his father on his bike once he got off of work, riding behind him and following his every turn. He figured that his father was probably cheating, but he just had to know who the woman was. It would put his mind at ease to finally know instead of wondering without any answers.

Eventually, the man stopped at a house, a one story in a friendly looking neighborhood. Ted parked his vehicle on the other side of the street, spying on his father through the hedges. In his head, he'd already started imagining what the lady would look like. His mother was blonde, so this woman would probably be blonde too. Maybe a lighter color.

Finally the door opened to reveal her—wait...him? It was a man, dark brown hair, eyes so light they were almost white, with his lips on his father's.

It was surprising at the time, but after taking some time to think about it, it really wasn't that surprising.

Howie had always been an opinionated man, and his opinion was this: women were good for nothing. He hated how emotional and weak they were, believing that without a man in the household, there would be no one there to protect the kids. All of the roles that a women had could easily be done by men, a man could cook, a man could take care of the children, and man could do all of the maternal duties besides actually having the child. And most of the time they couldn't even do that right. The main idea of Howie's misogyny was that men where better off and should suck it up and start marrying each other. They already knew how to please each other and wouldn't have to hear a woman bitch about her needs.

"The only reason I got your mother pregnant was so I could have sons, and I got two!" He admitted, relieved to be telling him the truth. Even if it had only been a few weeks.

Howie purposely raised open minded children, but that didn't stop his anxiety that his son wouldn't accept it. While Ted didn't agree with the fact that he was cheating on his mother, he didn't care one bit about his father's lover. It wasn't something he'd ever seen before, but different didn't have to mean it was bad.

At the end of the day, this was still his father. The man who raised him, the man he loved to death. And nothing could change that, especially something as minor as this. It wasn't like he killed somebody. His heart just happened to want a man this time. Nothing wrong with that.

And through his father was how he met his life time best friend: Howie's lover, Prescott.

Pres was the leading officer on the search for Coley, which was where they met the first time, but now it was more personal. Instead of dealing with his mother and the multitude of guys she had in and out of the trailer, he went somewhere where he felt more comfortable, Pres' house. Everyday after school, he was able to relax in a clean, well furnished, spacious home, and talk to the man, who despite only being a couple years older than him had lived quite the life. Being originally from England and after a long journey making it to Indianapolis, becoming an officer, and finding his dad. Ted was almost jealous of how interesting he was, too busy being mesmerized.

And the best part about him was how patient and nonjudgmental he was. In the beginning, Ted wouldn't speak to him much, still trying to get used to how feminine Pres could be. He grew up with his father and brother both being such manly men, and then he meets Prescott, a man who cares a lot about keeping himself groomed and baking and even makeup. It was strange to see at first, Ted having to break society's standards of men and women to really get to know the man. And eventually it got easier, and he found himself wanting to tell Pres his entire life story, gradually coming home to his mother later and later until he started sleeping over. Sometimes staying for days at a time. Not wanting to be away from Howie and Pres, who felt like his true parents.

And Prescott's chicken was like heaven, his seasoning techniques unlike he'd ever tasted from his mother. They wouldn't have it every day, but it was worth the wait. And it wasn't just the chicken, it was the mashed potatoes on the side. The macaroni with bread crumbles. For desert, scones and muffins and cake. And he never felt fat for scarfing it down, because although Pres had a great physique, he wasn't shy when it came to eating. It may not of been as much as Ted, but it was the thought that really counted. Those moments eating and talking together that really mattered. And Howie loved to see it.

All was well until his mother started to notice how both her son and husband completely disappeared from her life.

Now that's when things really went to shit.

To be continued...
[6/9/21 | 1113 words]