Chapter Two

I walked to the edge of the yard to get a better look. Still the object was too far away to identify.

--

I inspected the shape, as much as I could, but I was unable to make ends meet so I walked back to the tiny porch. Times like this, living close to the main emergency stations was helpful. Within minutes an ambulance and multiple police vehicles were at our property. Jimmy went the the front of our property to meet them and show them the way. Two police officers dressed in full uniform, including hats, walked behind Jimmy as he re-appeared. He introdroduced them as Mr. George Parker and Mr. Ryan Thompson, not that I was going to remember that.

The two officers questioned me a bit about the property, how often the river was high and low, about the neighbours and such, then left again. They returned about half an hour later with a team of people, also dressed in uniform, and started their jobs to investigate the object and remove it from the situation before it caused harm. I kept an open mind, even though I knew they already knew what it was. This was their line of work and this was what they were good at.

I allowed them some room and went back inside to make some coffee. We were getting low on milk so I wrote down a list of groceries I'd need on pay day. Jimmy joined me in the sitting room and we watched the officers and firefighters making their way across the muddy river. Luckily the day was hot enough that the water would be refreshing. Officer Parker knocked before entering through the back door.

"We're in the sitting room." I called. He found his way to us and stood just back from the door frame. "Can I have a moment please ma'am?" He asked. I mentioned Jimmy to leave, and offered the man a seat, which he accepted.

"The object snagged on the low branches on the other side of the stream happens to be the body of a teenager." He said slowly. "Sadly, it's very mangled and looks as if it's been dead a while. We haven't been able to identify the person." He continued. "Which means you're going to have to go to a new home for a while, just until the investigation is over." I recollected myself from the shock of it being a teenager. I nodded obligingly and stood from my arm chair. The officer told me to tell Jimmy, and that we could pack a bag up to 20 kilograms each. I walked passed the officer on the way out, my legs slightly wobbling from the shock of the news.

I walked outside looking for Jimmy. I was in the back yard helping the officers lay a tarp over the ground. I called him over an explained that he needed to pack himself a suitcase because we'd be living elsewhere until the investigation was over. He followed me inside and Officer Parker handed us the empty police suitcases we'd be using. I thanked him and then joined Officer (Candace) Jones in my room. I had to be watched so they were sure we weren't bad people. I packed a few trousers, a cardigan incase it was cold, a few light shirts and a throw blanket in case I needed it at night.

Jimmy didn't pack so smartly, in fact we had to leave a few shirts behind because he insisted he needed his laptop, camera, mobile and the chargers of each. He also took his hair gel claiming it was his favourite. Because he was 23 and didn't know what the higher prorities of the situation were, I let him. He had to learn somehow. Officer Jones allowed us some time to put our favourite possessions into boxes incase we were away for an extended period of time.

After 15 minutes we had to leave. We were taken to the police station first, escorted by Officer Parker and Officer Jones. Jimmys vehicle was going to be delivered to our new apparment building later by an officer who we had given the keys to. Being at the police station reminded me of my childhood. It had the same white cement walls and grey linoleum as it had 50 years ago. It was heated with a few air conditioners which had warm and cold settings. Today it felt cool but it was still stuffy because they didn't have proper fans or any windows.

As a child I had many visits here. I spent many nights in the cells, and my parents would always have to get me before 8am, and pay a fine for my release. It was usually minor things that really should have been over-looked. Unfortunately, I was born into a crap family and the town hated us.

We sat on the sticky chairs while the two officers explained to the useless administration staff. After them explaining who we were, we were escorted to a small room where we had to recount the day, and any previous days which lead to this situation. We also had to inform them of all missing persons who could have been in the area, which was none that we knew of. The smell of sweat was high, and it was beginning to dull the smell of scum and alcohol.

We were given alias names, me being Olivia Larson, and Jimmy being David Dunn. We were allowed to keep our age, but our birth dates were moved by nine days. It was already 4pm before we were allowed out of the tiny room, and the air seemed fresher in the hallways, which I was thankful for. We were left in a room while the two officers went to talk to some people in the hall. There was water, a few foam cups, a table with two seat on each side, and a security camera in the high left when you walk in. There was a window with bars across it. We weren't prisoners, but the last time I had been in this room I was.

Officer Jones came in with two others. She introduced them to us as our security. They'd live with us in our new place. One was named Melissa, who was a middle-aged female. She didn't look tough but we were assured she was the best in her line of work. The other was a trainee, named Steven. He was slightly younger than Melissa. They were resonsible for our safety. Because we technically weren't witnesses, we didn't get extra attention. The only similatiry was that we were put to sleep for our journey to our new house.

--

Sorry its so short :) next one is longer