Chapter 1: Autumn cuddles

Two years passed by quickly and peacefully. Jane and Max's relationship fortunately didn't bring any surprises or worries. During these years, Jane decided that the next right move would be to live together with Max in her rental house and take care of each other and their responsibilities as young adults. Max, after leaving the dormitory and saying goodbye to Nate and Jayden, decided to start a part time job in order to help her girlfriend financially.

Max began working in a bookstore as a library assistant, which was quite close to her school, for almost a year. She was liking this job pretty much as she was taking care of books and organizing stuff she was assissted with. This was a really satisfying and fun experience for Max. During this time, Max had made a new friend and his name was Bryan. They would have small talks and exchange conversations once in a while and even help each other with their duties in the bookstore which was a very welcoming new friendship for her.

On the other hand, Nate and Jayden were always spending time together hanging around town by themselves since Max and Jane were busy handling their new lifestyle. They weren't that appreciative of the fact that Max had been kinda distant with them both and developing this other friendship at her job as a replacement. Nate was spending less time with his own friends just to be near Jayden since she ended up living alone after Max left.
"I miss Max's presence." - the blonde girl said as she was looking in the void.
"Me too. It's been long since we all hung out together... just the three of us."
"Yeah, even Jane is busy now too apparently. But Max just seems to keep a distance from us. Have you noticed?"
"True. For a part time job, she works quite long hours and doesn't make time for more important things." - Nate said in a desperate tone.
"Yeah, I bet that shit is pretty exhausting. I'm still waiting for her to call us and come together like old times."
"Yeah. And get drunk in Jane's bar! I wish we could do that again, I feel like I'm getting old."
"Well, you're not 19 anymore." - Jayden chuckled. - "Anyway, maybe she's gonna be free this weekend. Who knows..."
Nate rubbed his small beard around his chin.
"We should definitely talk to her. Or else she might forget about us again and hang out with Jane. I'm not saying I don't want them to be together but she's always like: "I'm with Jane. I'm still at work. I got a lot of shit to handle. Blah, blah, blah." - the boy imitated his best friend, which made Jayden chuckle. - "We only see Max during school and that ain't cool."
"You're right. I'm talking to her tomorrow at school then."

  Around afternoon, Max was placing some books in their shelves. She was pretty focused on it and couldn't hear the footsteps behind her.
"Hey, how's it going?" - the dark haired boy asked as he got closer.
"Bryan, you scared me!" - the redhead chuckled in relief. - "I'm almost done."
  "I came to see if you needed a help, but you seem to have already finished."
  "It's fine, thanks."
"I still don't know much about you. What year in college are you?"
"I'm in third year, bachelor. What about you?"
"I'm graduated for electric engineering. You study for business management, right?"
"Correct." - Max responded as she stood up and checked the time in her phone. - "Our shift is finally over. We can go home."
"Oh, finally! Come on, I'll walk with you."
Max smiled and nodded, walking forward, Bryan following her from behind.

They left the bookstore and walked together until somewhere, as Bryan had to go to another direction. Max kept walking straight ahead, then turned to the right side. She arrived home after 10 minutes, opened the door, kicked off her sneakers and threw herself on the big couch. The redhead sighed and watched the clock on the wall. It was seven PM and already dark outside. Fall was Max's least favorite season. She didn't really like it because this season was a moody one. Luckily, as Max was working until her shift ended, she would have less time to wait for her girlfriend to come home. The only thing which would relieve the redhead was Jane coming home after a long stressful day, to give her the best cuddles. They only had time to see each other during the night or in the weekends.

A few hours passed until Max heard the keys opening the door and the footsteps getting closer. She stood up from the couch and faced her girlfriend who was removing her blue coat and hanging it on the small closet which was in her left. Max quickly threw her arms on Jane's neck and hugged her softly.
"Hey there." - the brunette greeted as she hugged her girlfriend back.
"Hi."
"How was your day?"
"Good. And yours?"
"Excrutiating." - Jane let an exhale, breaking the hug. - "Don't you think it's a little cold in here?"
"Turn on the air conditioner. Unless you wanna get inside the covers and cuddle."
"You hit the point." - the brunette grabbed Max's hand and took her to their room. She changed herself in her pajamas and laid down, covering the redhead and herself with a blanket.
Max got closer and wrapped her arms around Jane's waist, putting her head on the brunette's shoulder.
"I miss summer." - the redhead stated.
"Same."
"We barely have time to see each other and I've started to miss you."
"I know, but we both need our jobs. And don't complain at all. What if I'd gone to Canada? You'd never see my face ever again."
"Don't remind me of that situation! I literally had multiple breakdowns because of you."
Jane grinned.
"I still came back. So don't complain, be happy with what you have."
"True." - Max sighed and tightened the hug. She relaxed on her girlfriend's body and fell asleep quick, after a tiring day.