Chapter 4: Hangover

Max walked inside the school feeling overwhelmed and tired. There was a lot of noise and it was giving her a bigger headache than last night. She was disappointed that she was ending this week on bad terms with her girlfriend and that's all she could think about. She noticed Jayden and Nate wandering the hallways laughing and goofing around. She hesitated on walking up to them and explaining the situation of the previous night, but she took a deep breath and interrupted their conversation by coughing behind them. Nate, being the curious and anxious type, didn't say anything but noticed the negative emotions on Max's face.
  "Max! Did something happen? Your eyes look swollen." - Nate asked worried.
  "Yeah. Have you been crying?" - Jayden asked while focusing on her eyebags.
  "Um... It's not that big of a deal, really." - Max spurted out.
  "Quit lying. Did anything happen at home? Is everything okay with Jane?" - Nate asked hurriedly.
  "Something happened, yeah. But it's not any of you guys' business. I'm sorry but from now on, I shouldn't complain and show my true feelings or else everyone will leave. Isn't that right?" - Max let out of compulsion.
  "Woah woah. Hold on there. What do you mean by that? Look, Max. You seem hurt and disappointed and talking to us might make you feel better." - Jayden said to Max as she rubbed her friend's shoulders.
  "Exactly. Wanna come to the cafeteria with us so you could open up?" - Nate suggested in a calm tone.
  "No!" - Max spilled out and her friends backed away. - "You guys should stop trying to fix something that can't be fixed. It doesn't matter if I open up or not 'cause you guys will use it to your advantage and hurt me by leaving. I've learned that by now. Stay out of my lane and go on laughing your asses off like lunatics."
  "What the fuck is wrong with you? We're just trying to comfort you and you say all this nonsense." - Jayden became furious and now looked at Nate. - "Come on, Nate. We don't deserve to be treated like this by our own best friend. She can be alone for all I care."
Nate looked down in disbelief and his mood dropped instantly. Jayden took his hand and together they walked away from what appeared to be a meltdown. Max was shocked by her own words and wanted to run away as fast as she could.
In the span of 24 hours, Max had lost a girlfriend and her friends. This took a toll on her mental health and her behavior so she felt like she needed to stay away from every human being. Her classes finally ended and she could go to work as a distraction.

Bryan was standing on one of the aisles of the bookstore just restocking and reorganizing books, looking around as if waiting for someone. Max put a smile on her and scared Bryan from behind.
  "Boo!"
Bryan flinched and started laughing when he saw Max's face.
  "There you are! You mortified me. I was waiting for you so we could have a talk." - Bryan said.
  "Oh, I see. I haven't seen you this serious, like ever. What is it?" - Max asked.
  "Okay. So, um, you know how it's been a while since we met in this workplace, right? Well, I was suggesting, that maybe, only if you'd like... that we-"  - Bryan was cut off by a loud message ring. It was Max's phone.
  "Hold on! I need to get this." - Max took her phone out and looked at the screen.

Pooh
Where are you??
I need to talk asap

Max's face dropped and sighed in her right direction.
  "Who is that?" - the boy asked.
  "No one. Just a friend of mine."
  "Oh. Are you okay? You look violated."
  "I'm asking you a favor. Can you please cheer me up? I have a weight on my chest and I need to get it off."
  "Sure! I was going to ask if you wanted to go out for a drink, or two?!" - he smirked a little.
  "Yes, of course! I need it, though."
  "Great! Now let's get back to work."
Max nodded and put on her uniform before going to fix the books on one of the desks around.

  After the shift was over, Bryan and Max walked together in a local bar. At this point it was nighttime and the bars were crowded. The two colleagues sat on the counter where drinks were being served.
  "What do you prefer to drink, gingerhead?" - the boy asked.
  "Um... I'll take what you take, I don't mind."
  "Oh, so you trust my taste in alcohol?" - he provoked.
  "Why wouldn't I? Your charm makes it impossible for me not to trust you." - Max provoked back.
They ordered Vodka with shots and Max knew this was going to be a challenge for her since had been taking a long pause from alcohol and having fun, but she desperately wanted a distraction from her problems.

A few shots later, Max started feeling dizzy. Her head felt heavy and Bryan was cracking up jokes which Max couldn't hear because either the music was too loud or the Vodka was taking her mind elsewhere. All she could think about was her argument with Jane. The redhead's phone started ringing and the name "Pooh" popped on its screen. Bryan noticed it and started suspecting.
  "Is that your boyfriend?"
Max bursted in big laughter and shook her her head.
  "Was my boyfriend."
  "Oh, so you have an obsessive ex, then?!"
  "They left me because I was unbearable to them apparently."
  "How ironic that he's calling you." - Bryan scoffed. - "Anyway, if he left you he has given up on a treasure. That asshole doesn't deserve you."
  "And me? What do I deserve?"
  "Someone that understands you and takes you out for drinks." - the dark haired boy winked.
Right as Max wanted to say something back, she gulped and covered her mouth with her hand. Bryan understood what was going to happen, grabbed her arms and took her out of of the bar, where she threw up her insides. Bryan was holding her hair up and patting her back as she finished vomiting and laid there on the ground, laughing uncontrollably. The tall boy standing in front of her in confusion began laughing along with her. He laid beside her as rain started pouring.
"Ughhh! I hate Fall so much! I just wanna lay here and die! Leave me alone, God!" - Max shouted to the sky.
  "I think this is a sign that we should leave. We're both fucked from the Vodka." - Bryan said to Max as he got up and reached out a hand.
She finally agreed to get up but started limping and could barely walk. The rain had already washed the streets and the two drunk colleagues were soaking wet. Suddenly, a taxi pulled up on the sideway and pulled down the passenger window.
"Hey! Do you guys need a lift home?" - the taxi driver shouted to Max and Bryan.
"Y-Yeahhh! We would appreciate it, dude!" - Max yelled back as Bryan held her with his arm and accompanied her to the back seat.
The dark haired boy sat on the passenger seat and told the taxi driver his address. They set off home as the rain ended their crazy night out.

Bryan's doormat had wet footprints on it as he unlocked the door and invited Max in. She was now feeling unresponsive and exhausted, possibly caught a cold, too. He took off her coat and hung it up before he prepared some hot tea. Max gave up on the sofa and deeply exhaled.
"This was a long night, wasn't it?" - Bryan asked from the kitchen.
"Fuck yeah, it was! I feel like I'm on cloud nine." - Max said out loud.
Bryan sat down with one cup of tea on his hand and the other handing it to Max, which sat up and smiled in appreciation.
"Thank you, Bryan. I don't know why you're acting so nice to me today. It's not like I deserve it."
"I always do what's right. And taking care of you is right, because you're special. You should know your worth, Max. I see the real you and you're much more than what people treat you as." - Bryan confessed.
Max awed and reached for a hug. Bryan put his tea down and brushed through her hair with his fingers. Then he broke their hug by caressing the redhead's freckly face and trying to kiss her. Max pulled back for a second and looked at him in his charming brown eyes. She couldn't resist it anymore and finally gave herself in for a deep passionate kiss with the guy in front of her. This turned to an unexpected makeout session which escalated into Bryan's bedroom. Max could still feel she was in a drunken state, but somehow couldn't stop the whole thing going on. She was weak, hurt and anything would work as a distraction.