Chapter 32

Fallout's POV

Somewhere in the distance a door slammed open, but I couldn't be bothered with it right now. I grunted and pressed harder, feeling the blade almost touching the bone.

My head exploded and I rolled back, writhing. My skull had cracked open, burning and shredding. I clutched my hands to my head and curled onto my side. The pain was everywhere, filling up my whole head and whipping it back and forth, throbbing over and over again.

"Bella, she almost defeated you. Did she injure you too badly?"

I watched the scene through hazy, unfocused eyes, losing focus as everything blurred around the edges.

"Evil, what did you do to her! Stop it!"

I grimaced. Bella, screeaeming is nbaaada....

"Bella, calm down, please. Let me see your wrist. It's okay. Cavet failed." Evil was speaking softer, which I was somewhat grateful for.

"Stay away from me!" Bellllaaaaa....

"Look, you're safe, Bella, alright? We can leave, Cavet can't hurt you anymore. Your wrist is killing you. It's okay, come on." Evil reassured her. I dimly made out something extending from her body, a hand, an arm. Held out, flat palmed. Expression of friendship and comfort. Meant to be non-threatening. Do not engage.

"I- I don't, I can't-" Bella whispered.

"Trust me," Evil comforted her. "It is okay. You just need to come with me, remember? It's better with me."

Shoulders held back, tense. Meant to look relaxed, but prepared for attack. Signify lying. Feet placed at equal distance shoulder width, facing outward. Steady stance, well-balanced. Could be comfort or preparation for attack. Maintaining eye contact, longing for trust. Do not engage in wishes. Attack or fle quickly.

Bella took a deep breath. "No. Stay away from me, Evil."

My skull seemed to sew itself together for a flicker of a second, and I gasped. I lurched upward and made it to my knees before it crashed through my head again.

"Bella, please-"

"No."

It was gone again, for longer. I scrambled to my feet and stood unsteadily, panting. Bella and Evil both stared at me, Bella with fear, Evil with disbelief. We all stood silently, staring at each other.

Then I swooped down and grabbed my sword, flinging myself through the door. It slammed behind me, but not soon enough for me to not hear the angry roar that sounded as I escaped.

I turned heel and sprinted down the hall, not caring where I was going. I poked at the gem on my sword several times, merely hoping for it to take me farther away.

What seemed like ages later, my legs finally gave out from under me and I fell to the ground. Frozen, all I could do was lay there and gasp as I listened for Evil. When it remained silent, I pulled myself into a sitting position, resting my stump of a wrist in my lap.

"Looks like that situation got a little out of hand."

I looked up slowly, eyes resting on the figure standing over me.

"Damn it."