16. Necessity

Alex's POV:

"What's up with you?" Matt asked in a lower tone, placing his glass down onto the coaster. "You've barely spoke a word since you got here."

I took a deep breath and sighed. "Is there any news?" I queried, deflecting his question with another. "About Carter?"

"He's fine," he responded. "Got in a rough fight, is all. Now, what's wrong?"

"Ha ha!" Jamie teased as he potted his final ball, before the black. "Talk to the hand."

"Shut up and play, will you?" Nick complained.

"Nothing," I lied. "Nothings wrong."

"Alex Turner turns down a free drink?" Matt frowned, exaggeratedly, in response. "Of course there's something wrong. Talk to me, man," he almost pleaded. "Has sommat happened with you and Sophie?"

I mumbled something incoherent in response, even unsure of what I said myself. My foot tapping at a rapid pace underneath the table, watching the door of the bar, as if waiting for someone.

"Al..."

"What?"

"Tell me what happened."

"Nothing," I lied again. "I'm fine."

"You don't fucking look 'fine'," he argued. "Tell me what's wrong—"

"We kissed!" I exclaimed. "We fucking kissed. You happy?"

"I thought that's what you wanted?" Matt frowned once again, confused as hell.

"Oh, it is," I almost laughed in frustration. "It's all i've wanted since— since as long as I can bloody well remember."

"Then what's your problem?" he asked again. "Why're y' actin' weird?"

"Because if it weren't for Ross, barging through the front fucking door, then I would've finally had her. I would've fucking had her, Matt. I would've actually gotten to—!"

Suddenly everyones eyes were on me.

"Ugh," I scoffed. "I need a fucking smoke."

I don't know what it was that came over me, but my blood was pulsing through my body. Anger, anticipation, adoration. I just knew I had to finish what I had started.

I stood outside with just my cigarette dangling from my lips, the outside of the bar quiet. But not even that could calm me down. My need for her had become a necessity.

"You look lonely," some girl pointed out, approaching me slowly. She was blonde. That's all I can remember. I didn't pay any particular attention to her appearance at all, to be honest. "Need some company?"

"I like to be alone," was all I gave back, refusing to even bother looking over in her direction. Though she didn't take the hint.

"Why?"

"Just do."

"So, what brings you out here, then?" she asked innocently.

"What?" I frowned — maybe a little more aggressively than I should have, although still facing ahead.

"To the bar?" she giggled awkwardly.