Chapter Nine: A Rainbow

A/N: now this is when things start happening, and that's all I'm gonna say. For some reason this chapter took me so long to write haha sorry about that

I couldn't believe I had just said that. In a moment of weakness, I had ruined everything for myself.

"What?" Beatrix whispered, I didn't have to look at her to tell she was shocked. "How do you know this? Why do you know this?"

I jumped to my feet, zipping up my coat. I had to leave. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I'm just tired and confused. I don't know anything about Alyssa, or where she is."

I started walking away from Beatrix at a brisk pace. "You're going?"

"Yeah, I need to get back to my room. Thanks for the cookies."

She uttered a noise of disbelief. "You can't just say something like that, and then leave!" I ignored her and hurried on. I heard her get up and follow me. "Damira, wait. Stop."

I stopped, but I didn't turn around. "What?" I asked, trying to keep my voice calm.

"Stay. Talk to me."

I sighed. "What is there to talk about?"

She paused. "If you did know something about Alyssa, I wouldn't tell anyone."

I turned around; surprised. "Seriously? Why? There's nothing in it for you to keep my secrets. If you didn't, you would be the hero that solved the mystery. And she was- is your friend "

"I've never been the hero type," she said, almost bitterly. "And you're my friend too."

I brushed a strand of hair behind my ear as it blew in front of my eyes. "Why should I trust you?" It wasn't a rhetorical question. I already trusted her, somehow, someway, but I needed to her give me a reason.

She thought for a moment before replying. "You shouldn't. Because that would mean you would just have to take my word for it. It's up for you to decide whether or not you want to trust me. But, I do know that if you told me what you know, we could get ahead of this."

She had a point. And at this point I didn't have a lot to lose.

"Ok. I'm gonna tell you something crazy. Actually, I think I'll just show you. Just.... please don't be scared. I won't hurt you. And please, please don't tell anyone. Can you promise me that?"

She didn't look confused, like I'd expected. She looked excited, triumphant almost. "I promise."

I walked over to the cookie box, until I was standing right in front of it. Beatrix followed me. I sat down. And I opened my mind.

I let myself feel everything I had tried to hide from these past few days. And when the buzzing feeling started to build, I didn't ignore it or try to push it away. I did something I had never done before, something I had promised myself I would never do. I embraced it.

I let it go through my veins, my body, I let myself be filled with power. And then I harnessed that power. And I looked directly at the container of cookies in front of me.

And it started to float upwards at a steady pace, until it was at my eye height. It didn't even shake, it just smoothly rose, and then stopped when I decided it had gone far enough.